Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Lamoreaux

Thoughts on some "mixmasters"

1 post in this topic

Of the many inquiries I've answered about the no-prefix s/n JSARs, most of the rifles seem to have mag housings and hammer blocks numbered according to the production log. The barrel, bolt, and locking cam usually don't match. A few match the production log while a few don't match at all.

I suspect that one of two factors are at work: 1. The rifles were shipped "stripped", that is, without the barrel and bolt/locking cam unit "attached"; 2. the rifles were "stripped" for inspection by Winfield and/or Interarms (the importer) and attention was not paid to reassembling with the "correct" numbered parts.

My original thought was that these rifle were mismatched in the "field", but many of them are described in excellent condition.

Interesting to contemplate, but probably not important in the long run! The absolute mixmasters probably had more or less defective parts replaced or were simply really ratty rifles that the importer sought to "improve" by replacing parts. Could also have been rifles missing parts, etc. and reconditioned -- wrong word, but you get the idea -- so that they would sell.

Like I said, just thoughts and not hard facts.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0