Hammer #1383

Bolt #6961

Locking cam #7623

Firing Pin #4456

Extractor #9893

The stock has the numeral '5' on the magazine end

Barrel #7989H

Magazine #D5134

WOW! That's more matching numbers than most!

Please post pics!

test pick

DSC00064.jpg

Folks, I believe this is the one I mentioned that money wouldn't buy, he got it trading. Can't tell from small picture, but I think it is one of my stocks I installed for him. A very nice gun. Who says there are no Johnson bargains out there!

test pick

DSC00064.jpg

WOW! That's more matching numbers than most!

Please post pics!

I wonder if anyone has a parts number pool for mating rifles with their original parts.

The "parts pooling" has been suggested. I doubt that a rifle with all parts that match the only production log that has been found (the "no-prefix" serial number log) would bring a significant premium over a Johnson rifle with otherwise original parts. Further, there is always the danger of someone numbering or re-numbering parts in order to profit from an otherwise unsuspecting buyer. (Remember the JSARs with "matching parts numbers"?)

One thing to keep in mind: the "mint" JSARs imported in the late '50s and early '60s were probably exactly as they left the factory. If used, they were used primarily for "drill" or ceremonial purposes as they would have been issued to Dutch troops stationed in the Dutch West Indies (Aruba, Dutch Guiana, etc.). The other rifles imported in "used" or "good" condition were probably used only for training by Dutch East Indies troops stationed in Australia as the East Indies fell to the Japanese before a significant number of JSARs reached that country. Note, also, that the Dutch Navy acquired a number of JSARs for use on board ships, again from the NEI orders. I would expect these rifles to have been in fairly good condition.

Because these rifles had to be cleaned and inspected by the importer -- and there is a question in my mind as to the true history of the import of Johnson rifles and l.m.g.s -- it is not surprising that parts got "mixed", particularly barrels.

If my memory serves me, either Joe or John several years ago found a number of JSARs in poor condition in the Netherlands. I believe the problems with importing these rifles, and perhaps the asking price for them by the Dutch, precluded their purchase.

On the class 3 topic, there are no logs reflecting the parts numbered to the l.m.g.s.

Hope this is helpful!