Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bootneck

low serial number Johnson 1941

11 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm just a new member of this forum, an military gun collector and enthusiast - simply another gun nut (active duty 84/94 with RM UK so not complete ignorant :))

I've got a Johnson 1941 serial number 0280 - I'm assuming that's rather low number (?)

after long hours of cleaning, cleaning & cleaning rifle started to function, forgot to mention previous owner had that poor piece for 30 years or so stored in the wood shed so you can only imagine how she looked like when I've got her :)

I did test fire that old lady and she prints very nicely :)

but main recoil spring is very tired and I think that couses failure to extract and double feed

I did exchanged extractor - managed to get one from numrich but those guys are out of main springs

also need forestock cross pin and cross pin for the front of the magazine

please pass on any support info or guidance guys - I don't have a great deal of knowledge on Johnson's

I'm humbly relying on your wisdom

cheers

Drew

Hello Drew, Welcome to the Johnson rifle board,

Joseph Scott has the recoil spring and parts you are looking for. He is on this board quite often.

Regards, Mitch J.

Hello all,

I'm just a new member of this forum, an military gun collector and enthusiast - simply another gun nut (active duty 84/94 with RM UK so not complete ignorant :))

I've got a Johnson 1941 serial number 0280 - I'm assuming that's rather low number (?)

after long hours of cleaning, cleaning & cleaning rifle started to function, forgot to mention previous owner had that poor piece for 30 years or so stored in the wood shed so you can only imagine how she looked like when I've got her :)

I did test fire that old lady and she prints very nicely :)

but main recoil spring is very tired and I think that couses failure to extract and double feed

I did exchanged extractor - managed to get one from numrich but those guys are out of main springs

also need forestock cross pin and cross pin for the front of the magazine

please pass on any support info or guidance guys - I don't have a great deal of knowledge on Johnson's

I'm humbly relying on your wisdom

cheers

Drew

Hello Drew, Welcome to the Johnson rifle board,

Joseph Scott has the recoil spring and parts you are looking for. He is on this board quite often.

Regards, Mitch J.

Greetings Mitch,

Thank you so much!!!!

I'll try to get hold of him

cheers

Drew

Failure to extract is usually due to small pits in the chamber wall. Johnson's are very sensitive to these. I have two right now with that problem and am trying to hone chambers to recover barrels. The double feed is because the first case did not clear as it should. Try polishing some live cartridges with Scotch-brite in a 3/8" drill before firing. Examine cases with magnifier looking for smeared areas where the brass pulled out of the pits. If you see any, try a fine sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to polish chamber. Be sure to clean well before firing. A weak spring usually gives good extraction but kicks the cases very far and dings the side of case.

Failure to extract is usually due to small pits in the chamber wall. Johnson's are very sensitive to these. I have two right now with that problem and am trying to hone chambers to recover barrels. The double feed is because the first case did not clear as it should. Try polishing some live cartridges with Scotch-brite in a 3/8" drill before firing. Examine cases with magnifier looking for smeared areas where the brass pulled out of the pits. If you see any, try a fine sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to polish chamber. Be sure to clean well before firing. A weak spring usually gives good extraction but kicks the cases very far and dings the side of case.

Joseph,

I've got all sympthoms of the weak recoil spring as you've described

beside my spring was so rusted to the guide tube that it took me almost half an hour to get it out

again thank you so much for all help with those parts I need

could you please let me know how much for those 2 extra screws??

I would like to sedn your money order tomorrow morning

regards

Drew

Drew, if your spring was rusted into the recoil tube, you need to polish the inside with sandpaper on a dowel. The inside surface is critical to proper spring operation. Also disassemble the buffer assembly spring and clean it. The front small buffer tube screws into the large end and was lightly staked. Be careful not to crush the small end when removing it. If the outside is rusted, buff on wire wheel and spray prime it. If your recoil tube is too rough to use, I have a few new ones.

Hello Joseph,

I done as you've suggested right away after removing that rusted spring

one thing they teach me well in Royal Marines is how to properly clean your rifle :)

so I figure I may use those "unique" skills for pleasure

Thank you so much for hint on those issues, I'm hoping one day that my jsar will click again as in should

could you please check your e-mails I've send you couple re; those parts I need - thank you so much for your time!!!!

Joseph, do you have any idea what vintage / year of production is that rifle I have; serial number 0280

cheers

Drew

Details for JSAR : 0280

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : Not Listed

Stock Type: Not Listed

Barrel # 1394e

Hammer Block # 0139

Hammer # 963

Bolt # 551

Locking Cam # 326

Firing Pin # 0310

Extractor # 903

Magazine # 0496

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 9/30/1941

Contract : Netherlands Purchasing Commision (NPC)

Details for JSAR : 0280

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : Not Listed

Stock Type: Not Listed

Barrel # 1394e

Hammer Block # 0139

Hammer # 963

Bolt # 551

Locking Cam # 326

Firing Pin # 0310

Extractor # 903

Magazine # 0496

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 9/30/1941

Contract : Netherlands Purchasing Commision (NPC)

Hello Jim,

thank you so much!!

if that rifle was made for NPC does it mean that weapon could not been issued to US soldier??

cheers

Drew

Hard to say. Being an early production rifle it probably was one that was sent out to a Dutch colony rather than being held in bond after the jap invasion of the NEI.

I think they had a Johnson LMG at the armoury at Lympstone if I remember correctly...........

Hard to say. Being an early production rifle it probably was one that was sent out to a Dutch colony rather than being held in bond after the jap invasion of the NEI.

I think they had a Johnson LMG at the armoury at Lympstone if I remember correctly...........

Greetings Sir,

you're absolutely correct, they have one up at Lympstone

and there is a JSAR at Poole

cheers

Drew

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0