Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RDS

IAI carbines

7 posts in this topic

Just purchased a used IAI 5.7 carbine. Does anyone know how many 5.7 carbines IAI produced? Who made the barrels for IAI? Last question are their issues with these carbines in regards to quality and function.

I believe that IAI made perhaps 1000 M1 Carbines in MMJ 5.7mm Johnson. Not sure how many were sold. Believe Sarco may have some inventory. Yes, there were QC problems, unfortunately. If you E-mail me at ERJRice@aol.com, i can then send you some info of our 5.7 club that may answer more questions. Basically, use a good gunsmith for any work. :)

I purchased one of these 5.7 Carbines some months back, however have only just gotten around to "playing" with it. While a little "rough" when compared to issue carbines, or a Plainfield carbine, it seems to function alright. The feed ramp is a lot rougher than I like, but it has fed without a hitch so far. I'm just getting to reloading it also. I sized 75 or so cases this morning. I plan on trying a 35 grain Hornady "V Max" to see where that goes, and working with the powders and load data from Frank Barnes "Cartridges of the World." This book has the most powders and charge weights available in a published book that I know of.

Eric

I purchased one of these 5.7 Carbines some months back, however have only just gotten around to "playing" with it. While a little "rough" when compared to issue carbines, or a Plainfield carbine, it seems to function alright. The feed ramp is a lot rougher than I like, but it has fed without a hitch so far. I'm just getting to reloading it also. I sized 75 or so cases this morning. I plan on trying a 35 grain Hornady "V Max" to see where that goes, and working with the powders and load data from Frank Barnes "Cartridges of the World." This book has the most powders and charge weights available in a published book that I know of.

Eric

Eric

Eric

After talking to RCBS I ordered a neck reaming die and neck reamer. It seems that military brass when formed into 5.7 MMJ leaves the necks to thick and rounds will not chamber. I formed some older REM UMC brass and loaded with 40 gr .223 dia. bullets and they chambered fine.

As far as the rifle my feed rams are fine. But it had other problems. Barrel was out of time and recoil spring was binding in receiver. Slide was non GI and cast and fit poorly. Barrel has been timed and recoil spring no longer binds. I replaced the slide, recoil spring and spring guide. I also replaced the rear sight with a milled GI unit.I hope to shoot it this week end. I intend to use IMR 4227 and 40 gr. .223 bullets. Let me know how the 35gr V-Max work.

Rich

I'm not surprised about the necks needing reaming, I've had that experience using other cases cut down for other applications. Sometimes it is only a matter of a few thousandths, which can be just enough. I myself use a Forester case trimmer which also has neck reaming pilots. It works quite well and is very fast.

I've been unable to order any of the 35 grain "V Max" as the distributor is back ordered. I'll try some Sierra 40 grain soft points which were in stock. They should be getting here in a few days. Powder selection is up in the air as I've yet to take a good look at what I've got squirreled away. Once I take a good look, I'll decide what to start with. I'll keep you posted.

eb