edtowguy

Serial # Born on date and build if possible

22 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody :D

I just purchased my first Johnson rifle the serial number is 7528 .Any info would be great. The bad thing is some bubba turned an M! Garand barrel down and made it fit.I haven't headspaced it yet. But, I am real sketchy about shooting it. Is there anyone or anywhere I might find a safe barrel from.I really want to shoot it.

Thanks for any help

ED

Hello Ed, congratulations on your "new" rifle. :D Before you get too concerned about a "Garand" barrel, :rolleyes: let some of the experts on the board here explain to you how Cranston Arms rebarreled some 1941 Johnsons. B) I believe that they used Garand barrels and 1903 barrels. So it's not unusual at all to find a 1941 Johnson with a different barrel in it. :) Be pleased that you've got a nice barrel instead of a pitted, shot out one. However you are very wise to be cautious because as you said, "some bubba may have done it". Hang on a bit and one of our resident experts will enlighten you further! Mr. Joe Scott can sell you a new barrel and headspace it for you. I'm not quite qualified yet. :o M48TANKER

M48 Tanker and Webmaster Jim Pullen are correct. Winfield used many Garand BBLS on their standard sporter (basic sporter or military stock, Parkerized finish, refurbed Garand bbl with JSAR front sight but no bayonet lug). I have owned and seen many or them. Joseph Scott has a DVD on disassembly/assembly, care and maintenence of the JSAR. In it he shows how to check headspace.

I think you mean Winfield Arms not Cranston Arms.

Webmaster, you are so right! :) I was beginning to doubt my sanity. :o I guess I had a "senior moment" when I said Cranston Arms instead of Winfield Arms. I began to wonder where I read Cranston Arms. Now, I'm paraphrasing from Bruce Canfield's Book, loose quotes: "Maynard Johnson enlisted the aid of a old friend, Robert Leeson, chairman of the board and President of Universal Windings Company. Universal Windings Company was located in Cranston, Rhode Island, a surburb of Providence, Rhode Island. Leeson and his son, Robert Jr., operated a textile machinery manufacturing company and were interested in expanding into War-related contracted work. So a contract was negotiated for Universal Windings Company to manufacture most of the metal commponents of the Johnson rifles and light machineguns. As a subsidiary of Universal windings Company, "Cranston Arms Company" was established to manufacture the Johnson rifles and machine guns. Therefore on the right side of the receiver of most Johnson rifles, below and to the rear of the sight was marked "Cranston Arms" enclosed in a triangle, which was the Dutch National Symbol (in the same manner as the "star inside a circle" emblem on U.S. military aircraft. On many of these rifles there was a small five pointed star stamped above the triangle which was the Dutch acceptance mark."

Wow , thanks for the quick response. Ok where do we start with figuring out the build date. Unfortunately I don't have the rifle in hand I have to wait for my 10 waiting period I do have some pictures:-) but I don't know if you can post them on this forum.Would I be crazy to want to shoot this rifle in M1 Garand matches after I have this barrel question resolved as well as a safety inspection done.

Edtowguy, in order to figure out the date, you must have one of the "no-prefix" serial numbered rifles. If your serial number begins with an "A" or a "B"....... then so far those records are lost to humanity. There are ledgers in existance for the "no-prefix" numbered rifles. One of the board members will cheerfully tell you all you want to know about all the marked parts of the rifle. When you get the headspace checked out then I would shoot all I could afford to shoot. I shoot my Johnson regularly. M48TANKER

Here is the data on JSAR #7528:

Received from Cranston Arms 3/13/42

Stock #2

BBL #3681F

Hammer block #A0344

Hammer #3488

Bolt #A0653

Locking cam #5194

Firing pin #A9485

Extractor #8167

Magazine #A1207

Transferred to Netherlands Purchasing Commission 3/16/42

Don't be disappointed if little if anything matches. Like most modern ,military weapons with interchangeable parts subject to depot maintenance, personnel were concerned with function and safety, not original issue. As such JSARs with original parts are rarely seen.

I just used the "Attatchments" section that comes up when you clic "Reply" Then I browse my computer for the picture and attach it. I hope this works.

What does this mean? General Settings

Change Email Address

Change Password

Manage Notes

Manage Attachments

You cannot use this feature with the LoFi theme

LoFi theme

How do I fix that.

Thanks for your help tanker you rock:-)

still can't attach pics yet

All the things you mentioned are under the heading below that reads:"Help with attaching files". I don't go there. I just type what I want in this big white box and if I want to attach a picture that is in a folder on my computer, I just "browse" for that file and click "Attach this file"post-695-127573183868_thumb.gif

and then hit "add to post" at the right. Then hit"Add Reply" at the very bottom.

I have seen many Garand barrels on Johnson rifles and all had correct head space. I don't think Winfield used the M1 barrels as they had their own barrel maker. I believe most were done by other gunsmiths. By the way turning down a Garand barrel is a real "bit---" due to the interrupted cut over the chamber area. I tried one just to see how it was done. Not easy to do. I don't think you will have a problem with your gun, however, any gun smith can check the head space.

Well, I just accidently learned something. You can't view attachments unless you are "logged in". As long as I'm logged in now:

When changing calibers from 30.06 to 7mm, is the barrel all you have to change?

Can the Johnson be made to operate with a 308 barrel? I know that cartridge length would be a factor in feeding from the magazine....but has it ever been done, perhaps with a spacer in the magazine?

With my 1919A4 beltfed, I can change barrels, and change the size of the cartridge spacer (in the front of the feedway) to make up for the shorter 308 cartridge. I can also change barrels and run 8mm Mauser(7.92x57)as well. I know that Winfield offered the sporter in .270, so what other cartridges are adaptable. TIA.......M48TANKERpost-695-127575955913_thumb.jpg

What does this mean? General Settings

Change Email Address

Change Password

Manage Notes

Manage Attachments

You cannot use this feature with the LoFi theme

LoFi theme

How do I fix that.

Thanks for your help tanker you rock:-)

still can't attach pics yet

post-741-127591455504_thumb.jpg

post-741-127591459564_thumb.jpg

post-741-127591462703_thumb.jpg

post-741-12759147031_thumb.jpg

post-741-127591474273_thumb.jpg

post-741-127591479307_thumb.jpg

To go from 30-06 to 7mm, 270, 35 Whelan, or 308, you just change the bbl. I have experience with the 7mm, 270 and 308. I have only heard of the 35 Whelan. I am sure 8MM Mauser would work also if bbls were put together for it.

The Nederlands was occupied by that date. The Japanese invaded the Dutch east indies also. So the question is? Where did the rifle Go to after it was built?

This rifle would have gone into store then have been issued out to the Dutch Army in NWI (Aruba etc) or issued to one of the free Dutch Army/ Colonial units around the world such as in Australia, or to the Dutch Navy.

Most rifles that were not issued were transferred to the Dutch in 1945, stored, then disposed of in the early 1950's as surplus. The dutch were rearmed with surplus British and US weapons directly from those governments in the immediate post-war years.

What are the most important spare parts to have. I would like to find a parts source for the parts that wear or break . I going to love shooting it at Garand matches:-)

Edtowguy, I've picked up a few spares so far. Whatever Numrich or Sarco had in stock that was not too expensive. I got a "latch plunger spring $4.75"......"a firing pin spring for $4.20"...."a trigger spring for $1.60"....and from other sources I got a couple of "bolt hold back" levers, an "extractor", an extra front and rear military sight for the next Johnson that I know I'll get sooner or later. Probably the best spares are extractor, firing pin, mainspring, maybe hammer and trigger spring. I don't know enough yet to be aware of what might break. Seems like takedown pins might get lost too. Other guys on the board know a lot more than I do.

I was looking at the pictures that you posted and saw the front sight and bayonet lug in the process of being changed? Are you doing this and just haven't put the pins back in yet? I bought a "reamer" from Mr.Scott for "drilling/reaming" those pathways out for the pins. Plus I bought pins from him too with the sight. How did you go about getting the ramped sporter sight off? I know that Mr. Scott says there is a screw under the sight blade, and then you may have to apply heat and use a wrench to leverage it off. Just wondering how you did it? M48TANKER