Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goodbye_Charlie

Serial # 2352

8 posts in this topic

Greetings,

Firstly - Thanks for maintaing such a great site, it's been really helpful and informative.

I've had this rifle for a while but wanted to wait until things calmed down with the gun registry here (Canada).

Rifle #2352 (Bolt 2553, Barrel 140E?) was given to me by someone who didn't have a gun license.

This person used to cut grass for a veteran who said it was his rifle at Normandy for D-Day (unlikely but who knows?) and he made this kid promise that he wouldn't hand in the rifle to be destroyed.

When I got it, the grease was so old and sticky that you couldn't pull the bolt.

Not being hugely familiar with different rifles, I found the excellent field disassembly instructions on this site, stripped it down and gave it a thorough cleaning and lube.

The stock is cracked, and the bolt and barrel look excessively worn but the rifle seems function well mechanically. It looks entirely original – the barrel has seen a lot of ammo.

I haven’t fired it yet as I don’t live near a range and just registered it (so the authorities can’t confiscate it).

I think it’s interesting to note that when I registered it I was walking through the model and serial numbers with an RCMP officer who had trouble finding it in their system. When she found it and saw the picture, her reaction was “wow, that’s a mean looking gun…”. She had never seen one but was interested really interested in the history of it.

If anyone has any information, especially on how it may have ended up north of the boarder I would appreciate it. I don’t see too many US Military rifles up here, mostly ex-British/Canadian.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

Here's the details for you're rifle:

Details for JSAR 2352:

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : 11/28/41

Stock Type: (not listed)

Barrel # 1814E

Hammer Block # 4204

Hammer # 1616

Bolt # 2553

Locking Cam # 3129

Firing Pin # 7859

Extractor # 2289

Magazine # 8962

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 11/29/41

Contract : Netherlands Purchasing Commission

A matching bolt to start with.

I very much doubt the story that it was on D-Day in Normandy, with a 98% certainty. Stories are nice but as it is often said on here, 'buy and enjoy the gun, not the story!'. Most of the JSAR's that are in Canada, and we have a few Canadian members, would have been imported (into Canada) in the early 1950's via such firms as Winfield and Interarms during the surplus military weapons bonanza in those days.

See if Joe Scott (address and details are on the board) can help you either with a replacement stock (so that you can keep the original and get it fixed)or help you get it the stock repaired.

Got to wondering if this and other Johnsons from Canada could have been related to the joint US/Canadian 1st Special Service Force.

While it's clear that they had the LMG, have not found indication of the rifle. Have not yet figured out how to check stuff they might have had for traini-up in Helena, Montana.

Most of my Force friends have died, but I'll try to find some guys.

Just bear in mind that there were D-Days other than Normandy.

Respectfully,

Gene

I checked the records held at the National Archives at College Park. They are pretty comprehensive and hold a lot of the early discussion papers for FSSF, including all the Operation Plough stuff. The early mock ups of the force patch are included which I thought was pretty neat.

In the weaponry related files there is no mention of JSAR's only the JLMG's, though no serial numbers. These files are fairly detailed and complete.

Thank you both for your replies.

I’ll spend some time assessing the rifle and checking the numbers. I’m sure the barrel is a match too but I was working from a photo.

The rifle was free (as-is) and so was the story that came with it – I took it to help someone keep a promise to a veteran.

I have no way of checking any of the facts since the vet passed away years ago and the person who gave me the rifle never knew his full name or theatre of war.

I told him at the time that I was sure it couldn’t have been Normandy but he insisted that’s what the veteran told him. The rest of the story is that he lost his rifle in the landing and found this one. He didn’t ask questions – just checked for ammo and kept going. The rifle didn’t have a sling, when things quieted down he couldn’t get a replacement so he made his own out of rope and never bothered looking for a replacement after that.

The rope sling is made of two pieces of rope that are bound together in a professional way (not just tied in knots) – My feeling is whoever made the rope sling had military or rigging experience – it’s simple but expertly done.

Initially – I didn’t want the rifle (I didn’t have a description or any info and it was semi-illegal to accept a firearm without paperwork – I registered it later when the registration program started to fall apart and there was a gun amnesty – no questions asked)

I only took the rifle to help a neighbour keep an old promise. When I saw the rifle, it certainly caught my interest but I still thought that I might donate it to a good museum or sell/trade it to someone who would really appreciate it.

I have to admit – it growing on me and the longer I own it, the more I want to restore it into a solid shooter (I’d keep any original parts).

Thank you both again for your information and comments.

If there’s anything you want to know about this rifle – let me know.

I actually met a local vet who was with a commando unit at Normandy – I should ask him if he was aware of the JSAR being used for training or by other units – you never know.

My next steps will likely be to find a replacement stock, barrel and bolt assembly through the contacts at this site. When I find the time I’ll post photos, esp. of the barrel and bolt wear.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know - I stripped the rifle and all numbers match the official record except the barrel.

The number on record is 1814E, the number on my barrel is 140E.

I’m inclined to think that with the closeness of the numbers that the official record may be wrong.

What do you think?

The attached photos show most of the components with the cracked stock and corrosion on the receiver the worst of the damage. Also note the wear on the barrel.

The bore seems worm but the rifling seems good.

Overall I think it’s all original with the stock refinished (I can see drip lines in the varnish), it should be a good shooter with a replacement barrel.

Ryan

post-765-095778100 1279422697_thumb.jpg

post-765-007796300 1279422720_thumb.jpg

post-765-051430400 1279422739_thumb.jpg

post-765-006493100 1279422775_thumb.jpg

post-765-037872300 1279422805_thumb.jpg

post-765-052044500 1279422829_thumb.jpg

post-765-018992700 1279422861_thumb.jpg

post-765-083637700 1279422874_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know - I stripped the rifle and all numbers match the official record except the barrel.

The number on record is 1814E, the number on my barrel is 140E.

I'm inclined to think that with the closeness of the numbers that the official record may be wrong.

What do you think?

The attached photos show most of the components with the cracked stock and corrosion on the receiver the worst of the damage. Also note the wear on the barrel.

The bore seems worm but the rifling seems good.

Overall I think it's all original with the stock refinished (I can see drip lines in the varnish), it should be a good shooter with a replacement barrel.

Ryan

If that is the extent of the stock crack it's a simple fix. Put a small wedge lightly in the crack, pour super glue down the crack, remove the wedge and hold together tightly for 30 seconds. The repair will be stronger than the rest of the stock.

If that is the extent of the stock crack it's a simple fix. Put a small wedge lightly in the crack, pour super glue down the crack, remove the wedge and hold together tightly for 30 seconds. The repair will be stronger than the rest of the stock.

That's the worst end and I considered superglue but the crack radiates in three directions and its cracked back for a good 6-8" right into the handgrip section of the stock.

The crack also seems to pass through a few of the structural mounting holes.

I'll check the local Lee Valley and inductrial supply and see what they have.

My nieghbour is an old school pattern maker so he might have some tricks up his sleave.

I won't be shooting it heavily so I'd like to keep it original if possible.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

Ryan

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0