jgranai

First Johnson this week... Could questions

13 posts in this topic

I picked up my first Johnson this week. Took me years to be able to afford one but I finally did it.

Could questions.. On pictures of some I see a cutout on the forend just in front of the bolt handle with some sort of latch. On some I dont see this cut out or latch? Why so?

Also I read about a bolt hold open and fact that most were removed. Where on the gun is the hold open?

Thanks for the help. Getting ready to go to the range to go shooting. 03A3 and Johnson going to get a workout today!

Best,

Jeff

The bolt hold open is internal. Nothing is visible from the outside. Or at least, I can't see anything from the outside.

When the magazine follower gets to the end of it's travel, it contacts the end of the hold open to rock/lift it and block the bolt.

To release it from holding the bolt open, you pull back on the bolt handle (which pulls the bolt back from bearing against the hold open and takes that pressure off it) and push the magazine loading door in (which pushes the follower down and takes that pressure off it). Both actions allow the hold open to snap back down and the bolt can be closed.

I'm not sure what you mean about the forend cutout.

I think the cut out you are referring to is the cut out for the front "take down" pin. On some of the Winfield Arms reconditioned Johnsons the wood was replaced. I guess that they didn't want to take the time to cut the wood and refinish it, when they could just shorten the retaining pin and cover it up. The forestock then held the pin in place. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Here is a picture from our Main Johnson Site.

mag.jpg

And then here is a photo (borrowed from Gunbroker Auction # 200850833)that shows a Winfield "Sporter" that has no notch cut out for the assembly pin.pix564939883.jpg

Here is a shot of the bolt catch. It surrounds the hammer and then the little tab or lever on the front goes into the rotary magazine where the follower trips the catch when the magazine is empty. When reassembling the rifle always depress the shell follower until the bolt catch lever is inserted into the magazine.

buttgrp.jpg

Melvin Johnson didn't originally design the rifle to have a bolt catch but it was added later at the request of the Netherlands Purchasing Commission. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Questions answered. It is a Winfield Sporter. Exactly like the picture posted of one.

Went and shot yesterday. Shoots very well. No one at range had ever shot one. All the guys enjoyed it.

Now time to take it apart and clean it.. Always an adventure with a new toy

No one at range had ever shot one.

Get used to that. I have about three basic answers prepared for "What is that?" depending upon what I think the interest or knowledge of the person asking the question is.

One is quite brief, for those who don't really care since it's "just some old military gun" and therefore nothing of interest to them because it isn't a good gun like a Revelation .22 or something. Answering "It's an M1941 Johnson" tells them all they want to know and then some (and still tells them nothing).

Another of my answers is more detailed, for those who say something like "What is that? That's not a Johnson is it?". I'll tell them that it is, and answer any questions they might have.

The occasional person who says something along the lines of "Holy cow, is that a Johnson!?!?" gets my full and undivided attention and usually gets me going.

Truth be told, most get the first answer. I'm surprised how many people I've seen who have never heard of them before.

Now time to take it apart and clean it.. Always an adventure with a new toy

Get Joseph Scott's CD. It's a big help on taking one apart and putting it back together, how far to go, what you should always check, what you probably shouldn't mess with, etc. Poke around on here and find his contact info to order.

Great advice Barry! All Johnson owners should have Joe Scott's CD...it's worth it's weight in gold, probably even in silver :D (that's an insider tip) :o . Also be selective in the ammo that you use in the Johnson. There is a thread on here that explains what you need to know about some of the modern high power ammo.

On 11/13/2010 at 9:52 PM, M48TANKER said:

Here is a shot of the bolt catch. It surrounds the hammer and then the little tab or lever on the front goes into the rotary magazine where the follower trips the catch when the magazine is empty. When reassembling the rifle always depress the shell follower until the bolt catch lever is inserted into the magazine.

buttgrp.jpg

Melvin Johnson didn't originally design the rifle to have a bolt catch but it was added later at the request of the Netherlands Purchasing Commission. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I found your excellent photo of the bolt catch.  I have a sporter that doesn't have one.  I just acquired one and put it in today.  It will not hold the bolt back!  I installed it three times holding the mag. door down.  I also put in a tooth brush handle in the opening, checked the slot in the mag to make sure it was down.  Put it back together and still wont' hold.  I put a flashlight in the space behind the bolt, pushed the mag door down and let it go up.  The latch moves down when I push the door down, up when I let go.  Does the catch have to be bent up on the bolt engagement end or what?  Thanks for your help.

bigedac

I have found that the bolt catches were fitted to each gun during manufacture by varying the length of the little "finger" for proper operation.  I believe that as the importer assembled guns after cleaning, some bolt catches fit and worked properly.  If so, the gun was sold with a working catch, if the catch didn't work, it was left out and gun sold without a catch.  Some years ago, I purchased quite a few of the discarded catches and found that the finger lengths varied from the drawing.  Few of them were same dimension.  By welding on the end of finger and bringing to correct length, they worked properly.   The original fitting was required because the magazine internals have some axial movement.  Bending the long portion of the catch works in some cases, but not always.

Joseph,

I have spent many hours trying to get a bolt catch to work correctly.  It will not lift the long end enough to engage the notches in the bolt.  I could weld some material on the short end, which would probably work, but how would it wear over time?  If you have one for sale I would most likely be better off buying one from you.  Please advise.  I have tried to contact you before but it took some time to get me signed up on this site.  I hope you are doing well.  My rifle is a sporter and in excellent condition.

Joseph,

As I said, I have a bolt catch but it is to short.  It measures .560 from the flat under the spring to the opposite flat.  The guy I bought it from has one that is .640 but it has no spring.  You said that you have the springs.  Ok, how do they attach? Do you have one that I can purchase? How much? The guy with these said that I should just weld some material on the end.  Fine, but how do I protect the spring temper?  Thanks for your help

Errol