Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mitch J

Model 1948 Johnson??

6 posts in this topic

This was one of the "Mexican crested" guns we examined in the Houston get-together. All of these are non-original and were not J.A produced. I saw some of the other "experimental" guns at Tulsa several years ago and all were freshly made. I have one of the "W" crested guns which I bought years ago before I knew better. Likely made by the same west coast source. Pretty variations but not Johnson Automatics made. I hope the statements about "1948 model" and "experimental" don't become "facts?"

There was an auction a few months back where "1948" and "experimental" were used. I received an inquiry on this from one of our website readers who had some doubts. I tried to inquire further from the auction house, and had some excellent comments from a Johnson expert included as part of my inquiry. Frankly, I was trying to warn them of a possible "fake." I never received any reply from the auction house, which I considered outright rudeness, considering the fact that I identified myself. However, as we all know, auction houses make a commission and the higher the price, the larger their commission. And I believe that Joe Scott is correct in his opinion on this, as to possible source. Suffice it to say...for several reasons...that "1948" and "experimental" are fake. They were not used by the Johnson factory. "Let the buyer beware." :angry:

There was an auction a few months back where "1948" and "experimental" were used. I received an inquiry on this from one of our website readers who had some doubts. I tried to inquire further from the auction house, and had some excellent comments from a Johnson expert included as part of my inquiry. Frankly, I was trying to warn them of a possible "fake." I never received any reply from the auction house, which I considered outright rudeness, considering the fact that I identified myself. However, as we all know, auction houses make a commission and the higher the price, the larger their commission. And I believe that Joe Scott is correct in his opinion on this, as to possible source. Suffice it to say...for several reasons...that "1948" and "experimental" are fake. They were not used by the Johnson factory. "Let the buyer beware." :angry:

Hi They are not to good to deal with , Rockisland that is , I had some problems , so do not feel to bad about being blown off. I like the one in N.H.

Tony

Could it be that these were 1941 Johnson rifles that have been "altered"? The nomenclature on the top of the receiver shows two distinctly different fonts. The "CAL 7X57" and the date "1948" as well as the serial number, are obviously later additions. When you use a pantograph, (I have a Gorton pantograph) you have to change a lot of mechanical settings to go from one size font to another. It would be more believable if the font was the same size and style. This leads me to believe that rather than try to match the original font, someone just ground off or welded over the correct markings and then added their own with a completely different size font. Examining the metal around the serial number, sort of in front of the serial number, I believe I can see evidence of grind marks or weld and grind?

When you say "new made" by someone on the west coast, do you mean that the entire rifle has been duplicated by someone with the tooling to do so? Or do you mean that original 1941 Johnsons were used as a "base" on which to make alterations and create something that never was? Thanks for the information. M48TANKER