Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adriaan de Jong

Real life Auction

10 posts in this topic

It is a "bit" off topic but maybe someone here can help:

a friend of mine here in Germany owns a mint Walther WA2000 sniper rifle in 308 Winchester that he wants to sell. He thinks that this rifle(with spare barrel, case,scope and the extremely rare Y-shaped shooting/carrying belt)will fetch more in the USA than overhere in Germany.

Importing to rifle into the USA is possible, I allready found that out.

But: I do not like the idea of putting this valuable gun in Internetauction, I would prefer to find a Auctioneer who sells rifles in real life Auction's, who knows what he's doing and is absolutely trustworthy.

Anyone knows where to go to?

Your help is appreciated

Adriaan

Rock Island Auction in Moline Illinois has been very good to me; they routinely sell firearms in the $50-75,000.00 range and always seem to get top dollar-- Only place in whole world I have been able to walk in and handle a complete Pederson device; a Jap garand and a Jap Pedersen rifle all on the same rack !! I know of one guy that sold over 100+ USGI rifles at auction there and realized 60% more after fee's than he thought he would get ! IMHO the best ! They are not a cut rate auction!! They are not a gun show auction! Their staff is extremely knowledgeable!

Thank you very much!

Anymore ideas?

Adriaan

:angry: I hate to burst bubbles, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Rock Island the same outfit that was selling very questionable "experimental" Johnsons a few months ago? The same folks that never replied to my correspondences? Even after I explicitly told them who I was? Yes, they may get good prices for the sellers....but my sympathies go with the buyers.

Hi, not to rain on your parade but I took all guns back from them RIC They put value TOOOOOO low and wanted to put in one lot.Also when they sold Hagens collection of Liberator's a lot of freinds felt they did not bring what they should have, just my 2 cent's

Tony

P.S. anybody know what a Dardick in parts is worth?

Thank you

Hey I believe there is also an auction house by the name of James D Julia INC. In Fairfield Maine. Tel # (207)453-7125 Fax#(207)453-2502

I have never delt with this company, but i see them advertised in Shotgun news often.

Good Luck Ryche

I have bought and sold through Amoskeag Auction Co. http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/, and would recommend them without hesitation. I have bought through James D. Julia, http://jamesdjulia.com/, and they have been reliable and easy to deal with. These two houses both have high reputations. Have you considered Dorotheum in Vienna and Dusseldorf? http://www.dorotheum.com/en/auctions.html, I have never done business with them, but they often deal in very expensive arms, and might be easier for you to connect with. My experience has been that the keys to a good sale are how how much knowledge and experience the house has with your particular items, and - since even the best can make honest mistakes - how quickly and appropriately they will set things straight. Before you decide, ask the auction house plenty of questions and talk with as many references as you can. Good luck!

I can only tell you fellows that I had a several hundred gun US Military collection. Included were many rare items that you just don't see anywhere.I had been researching type collecting and obtaining rifles for years that could be documented through Springfield research service; I got top dollar in my opinion with no complaints; How about over $10,000.00 for a 1903 in well worn condition that was salvaged off the USS California at Pearl Harbor- You Know a nasty 1903 that you would walk by in any gun show in the USA ! Another big dollar gun was a Low number 1903 That served in Haiti in 1912--Documented! All of these were local gun show finds!

I also heard some thing about that Libertor Pistol auction; seems the owner was warned about flooding the market at once with all of those little beauties -- It took over a year to sell my collection a little at a time so that I did not flood the market-- What other auction house could you go to and see Two pederson devices in the display area- Those took auctions 6 months apart to sell !

<_< Once again, and not to beat this to death, my sympathies go with the buyers if using the services of a company that does not respond to appropriate correspondence in connection with historical inaccuracies. It would even seem to suggest that money might override or supersede historical accuracy.

Based on my limited experience with collections, I have heard that the Julia organization is consistently reputable. Other collectors who frequent this site may have additional names to recommend or comments on the subject.

Gentlemen,

thanks for much for the input sofar, your information has been very helpfull.

I talked it over with my collectorsfriend, he decided to sell the Walther here in Europe. It would have certainly raised more in the USA, but it's too much hassle trying to organise a sale from here.

Next to that,it would have cost at least 1000 to 1500 dollars to get the rifle into the USA. Worse is that it would have to be marked with name etc. of the importing agent in a clearly visible place. That would severely degrade this rare gun.

So, it will probably end up at the mentioned Dorotheum or Hermann Historica Auctioneers here in Germany.

Again, thanks for your help,

Adriaan