cmcwilliams

Johnson 1941 Serial Number Help

11 posts in this topic

I just received my Johnson 1941 and am tickled pink! I've had my eye on one of these since I was a kid. I have a couple of questions for the group. Does anyone have any information on the serial number for this rifle? It is numbered 6931. The bore gauges at 0 and appears unfired. Another question - the stock screw hole (right side-forward of sling swivel) has a wooden plug in it. Was that put on by someone later? Also, the butt swivel is a simple single screw design, not the two screw type I've seen on other rifles. Other than that, it appears to be in original military configuration. I would say this weapon retains 100% of the original parkerized finish. The Cranston cartouche, with star, is not very sharp, however, so I was wondering if anyone thought this had been arsenal (or otherwise) refinished. Thanks for any info!

Best,

Richard

Appears you have a sporter stock as evidenced by the wood plug covering the stock key screw and the single screw sling swivel. Post some pictures for more information. The data on JSAR # 6931 is as follows : Received from Cranston Arms 2/13/42

Stock #2

BBL #8565E

Hammer block #5248

Hammer #7013

Bolt #5906

Locking cam #8478

Firing pin #2518

Extractor #4860

Magazine #A4233

Transferred to NPC 2/14/42

Thank you for the information. The sporter stock makes me think that this was refinished as parkerized at some point, given the worn Cranston stamp. I'm posting some photos so any additional information you can provide would be very helpful. If the stock is a sporter, would you recommend trying to find a replacement military style stock to put on it?

post-1173-0-40851700-1312515480_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-33897600-1312515492_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-58464100-1312515503_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-33507800-1312515514_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-91734000-1312515525_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-38380400-1312515537_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-53825800-1312515551_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-50232100-1312515565_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-41789000-1312515579_thumb.jp

post-1173-0-26117200-1312515594_thumb.jp

Also, the only markings on the barrel I can find are "3 1" near the breach end. The numbers are visible through the ventilated portion when the barrel is assembled. There is no ".30-06" on the barrel anywhere. Thanks!

It sure looks refinished and restocked to me

The gun has been refinished, with considerble buffing to the original finish milling. Also, the rear sight assembly (all of it) has been painted. As the gun left the factory, only the leaf and ears were painted, with all other parts parked. Originally, the bolt handle and extractor would have been blued.

The metal has been refinished. It looks to be an uncompleted restoration. The rear sight appears to be one of the repros made by Gun Parts and prob'ly was added after the refinish to replace whatever sporter sight was on it. The front sight also does not match and the bayo lug looks a little off , but orig. ones were common long after the orig rears dried up , so again , might have been added after the refinish. If the bbl lacks the proper markings , they could have been buffed off or the bbl could be a sporter bbl that's had the proper sight & lug added. The stock is a sporter too , as has been said. Still , it's a nice stock. Orig are hard to find and expensive. Mr. Scott makes a good repro set , but for the money and what yours is , I'd just finish the stock you have if you can. The plug can be removed. You need to check the mainspring anyway to see if it's good. You'll also need to see that the stock componets are there and properly installed to keep from breaking something . Is the length of pull OK ? Or did they pull a recoil pad off and now the stock's too short ? The proper sling swivel can be installed . How does the buttplate fit ? In the pics it looks like a gap exists between the stock and plate , but this may just be camera voodoo.

Still , a nice clean looking rifle and one you won't be afraid to take out and enjoy .

Chris

I believe you have a wood set made by Fagen (out of business). The plugged hole should have a 3/16" square key through with screws on each side. Probably has a blind key with epoxy around it. You have to drill out the plug and then drill from opposite side to punch out the blind key. This usually buggers up the stock. I have new rear swivels but you will have to machine the wood to accept one. The forearm does not have the front pin nor its retainer, again typical sporter. Check main spring for 12" length. If you need more help, message me.

You are certainly getting top dollar out of it on Gunbroker. It has already reached $4500 with a day to go! One never knows.

$5950....am I missing something here?