Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed Johnson

Update on Spitfire Product to MMJ 5.7mm M1 Carbine users

2 posts in this topic

Effective 10/31/11, the following is my standard introduction letter that I send to folks who contact me regarding the MMJ 5.7mm Spitfire Carbines. I am also re-sending it to existing 5.7 Club Members and posting it on the Johnson Website, so well operated by Webmaster Jim Pullen. I am doing this to update everyone on new information as well as emphasizing my major concerns. Ed J

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an introduction, I am the 2nd son of the inventor, Melvin M. Johnson, Jr., who, among other things, was the designer of the Johnson Semiautomatic Rifle and Johnson Light Machine Gun. Here is some basic info and history on our 5.7 Club.

We are primarily concerned with M1 Carbines as manufactured or converted to the MMJ 5.7mm Johnson cartridge as designed by my father, Mel Johnson, in collaboration with John (Jack) Fitzgerald in Connecticut.

There were also some other small manufacturers of 5.7 Carbines in the past. The most common ones were Johnson Guns, Hamden, CT (Dad's); Johnson Arms, New Haven, CT (mine); Plainfield Machine, Dunnelen, NJ (who sold us parts and receiver castings); Iver Johnson (no relation to Dad or myself), who bought Plainfield Machine; plus Johnston-Tucker, briefly during the sixties.

I.A.I in Texas was the most recent manufacturer of 5.7mm (.224) Carbines. At this time, we are not aware of any current 5.7 production manufacturers. We have heard that IAI had some quality control issues. If you run across or purchase any IAI products, we suggest having an experienced gunsmith work on the piece.

Warning: There is now a 5.7 mm high velocity pistol cartridge which is much shorter than the Carbine round and will not operate properly in the Spitfire M1 Carbines. There are also slightly different variations on the MMJ 5.7 mm cartridge, using different names, some of which, if loaded into a Spitfire, may cause serious problems. Please use caution.

You are strongly encouraged to purchase the most recent book on my father's work, titled Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns, written by noted author Bruce Canfield, based on an original manuscript by Robert Lamoreaux and with family material provided by myself. This book also covers the history and development of the 5.7 project; it is available from Mowbray Publishers at 1 800 999 4697

In addition, there is info at: www.johnsonautomatics.com which has a 5.7 page plus a message board section devoted to the 5.7 project. There is not usually too much activity as this aspect of Dad's work is not very well known. (There was also an "Image" website that carried info on the Spitfire but this website has been discontinued.)

We sometimes refer people to an experienced gunsmith for work on their 30M1 Carbines when they are converting to 5.7 mm Johnson or want their IAI carbines checked for quality.

Contact Name: Richard Hoffman

Title: 145 Sheridan Ave. Longwood, FL 32750

Phone: *(407) 592-3975*

Screen Name: Bwefirearms@aol.com

E-mail 1: bwe@cfl.rr.com.

To my knowledge, there are currently no commercial ammunition manufacturers making the MMJ 5.7 mm ammunition. Therefore, ammunition would be only available from handloading operations. Care must be taken not to go too high on chamber pressures.

Loading dies would be available from RCBS. Reamers would be from Clymer.

Warning: As mentioned above, the most recent 5.7 manufacturer was I A I in Texas. Some of their barrels are still floating around. I believe they are . 224 but I strongly suggest measuring any rifle bore as well as any bullets, regardless of manufacture, to avoid trying to fire too large a bullet through too small a barrel. We had problems with this back in the '60's and some of those mismatched products may still be out there.

Warning: Regardless of any ammunition you may find or now have in your possession, do NOT assume that it will work properly in any 5.7 Spitfire product that you own. Measure the diameter of the bullet AND measure the inside diameter of the barrel before firing the weapon. Go to an experienced gunsmith if in doubt.

There is a company in Worcester, MA that is manufacturing .30 cal M1 Carbines. As far as we know, they are not producing any of these in 5.7mm Johnson.

Our original cartridge loads back in the '60's were 11.5 grains of #4227 powder with . 2235 40 grain bullet with #6.5 primer. We used RCBS dies to re-form M1 Carbine brass. Accuracy is usually a group of 5 shots within 5" AT 100 yards. Some shooters have done much better.

If you decide you want to become a member of the 5.7 Club, I will simply need your preferred E-mail address, your Name, Town and State. There is no fee. I periodically send out mass E-mails of interest as well as items that are sent to me by other members.

I hope this info is helpful to you.

Edward Rice Johnson ERJRice@aol.com Backup E-mail: Ed_Johnson@tvcconnect.net

My apologies for the various printing sizes in what I entered above. This was not intended. The content of the smaller print is JUST as important, especially the "Warning" paragraphs, as the content with larger print. Thank you for your indulgence with a computer illiterate old man! Ed J