Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayhovers

1941/1944 Semi Johnson LMG

8 posts in this topic

I thought I would use this board since it has been quiet way too long. This my semi Johnson 1941/1944 LMG. Some of you may remember months ago that Ryche had a forend foot from a 1944 Johnson LMG here for sale. I had already found a DROR trigger group/buttstock that I had adapted to my 1941 Johson, so I thought why not be able to make it both a representative 1941 LMG or a 1944 LMG. I made the parts looking at pictures. I think I got it reasonable close.

As a footnote, this is one of those "rare prototypes" that was auctioned of a couple of years ago. I don't think anyone bought the description, but it was a chance to pick up a semi LMG. Much to my surprise, I found that the magazine assembly was just stuck on the side of the rifle. There had been no machining, so if you put ammo in a loaded magazine it just hit the outside of the receiver.

Well I called the auction company and told them the problem and since they had advertised it as a "rare prototype," they would have to take it back. After some negotiation, I agreed to keep the Johnson after a sizable refund. Now I need to find a LMG forend and I'll try to make a reasonable bipod.

post-577-0-97352500-1325968621_thumb.jpg

post-577-0-25406600-1325968645_thumb.jpg

post-577-0-67420500-1325968661_thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you have the name and location of the auction house that was involved with this sale?

Hey Jay: Its looking good so far, glad to see that foot went to good use. I can probably tell you who built that piece but it won't do much good since the auction house gave you a partial refund. Hopfully it was worth the diffrence. Most of those "PROTOTYPES" That were moved through the auction house were proven to be bogus on this site when the serial#'s were looked up.

Any way good luck on the rest of your project. If i can help at all let me know.

Ryche

For the record, and to refresh some memories, it was Rock Island who advertised several "prototypes" about a year ago. I wrote them a letter and E-mail about the discrepancies and never received the courtesy of a reply. Once again, we seem to have another situation where money is the primary factor. The higher the price for an item, the more commission for the auction companies. And so...again...let the buyer beware.

The only way we can help potential buyers will be if they ask for our opinion FIRST on anything to do with "experimental prototypes" of the Johnson Rifle or LMG products. So, spread the word...I guess that's the best we can do.

For Jayhovers, thank's for telling us this story. Sounds like you handled it well. On modifying your piece, based on what I've seen, our members Joe Scott and Brian Alpert should be able to guide you on modifications.

Ed,

Once I had agreed to keep the Johnson, I used the patent blueprints available on the internet to make the neccessary modifications. It was relatively simple with the caveat that I proceeded ultra slow, carefully and repeatedly fitting the magazine housing until it fed correctly.

nf4pe8.jpg

2cj1q0.jpg

This is my version of the 44LMG. I used an upper made from a JSAR and a Dror lower. I found a complete monopod assembly and only had to have a mounting bracket made. I have since put on a Dror rear sight.

What did you use for the cylinder between the foot plate and mounting bracket. It is a fairly complex spring loaded piece.

You're absolutely right about the cylinder being complicated, and I sort of cheated. I took a 1 5/8 metal tube and used a couple of brass end caps that I flattened with a hammer and then filed to get the approximate shape. I then took some 1/8 inch steel plate and cut a circular pattern to which I welded the two vertical posts with the hole for the attachment arm in between. I then used J&B weld to attach the circular plate to the brass end caps. The attachment to the foot is a piece of machined aluminum that is attached by screws from underneath. As for the springs, I used one big spring that is attached to the arm at the top and the bottom. That pulls the entire tube assembly together. Its a little weak but it does work. Once I can find a tube that has screw caps, I hope to remake it using the proper compression spring design.