Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridge Runner

Can you tell if this bayonet is authentic or not?

8 posts in this topic

Ridge,

Look at the article Jim and I did for the site. Look under the Bayonet section. It will show you what to look for when buying a JR bayonet. I looked at the picture and it looks ok to me.

Walt B)

I agree with Walt's assessment, it looks original to me from the photos.

$350 in that condition is about right at current market value.

Ridge,

Look at the article Jim and I did for the site. Look under the Bayonet section. It will show you what to look for when buying a JR bayonet. I looked at the picture and it looks ok to me.

Walt B)

Thank you. I found the artilce.

Based on the photograph in the link above the scabbard looks a little "to new" and "thick."

There also appears to be a serial number on the top of the barrel lug (does it look that way to you?). According to the article, there were never any type of numbers stamped into the bayonet. That would make this a reproduciton, right?

What do you guys think?

Refer to the two assesment's above and read the article fully. Numbers are found commonly on Dutch issued bayonets and other martial equipment.

Compare the bayonet scabbards original to repro. Pay attention to the bottom tips of the scabbards.

Probably the best authentic bayonet indicator is the rivet. On the originals, the rivet had a "domed" head. On every repro I have seen, the rivet had a flat head, like a short cylindrical shape, rather than domed, or curved on top.

Well, the bayonet and scabbard look real.

It has the domed rivet head, and everthing else seems to match up. The scabbard also seems to pass the test.

However, I have to ask, was the machining on the originals poor in some cases?

The blade on my bayonet lis clearly "off center" to one side when you look at it from the top.

Also, the ring that goes around the barrel is very irregular shaped on the outside of the ring.

Could this be attributed to them trying to get a lot out a one time?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0