bulletstuffer

5.7mm load data

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone done any load data research with sone of the newer powders from the last 10-15 years?

Also favorite loading data from older data and most prefered bullet, weight and type would also be helpful..

I just purchased an Iver Johnson SS 5.7mm Spitfire with forming and reloading dies and can't wait to get busy making some ammo.

I have heard it is better to also use a reamer after forming so I am on the lookout for that setup as well.

Thanks,

Bulletstuffer

40 grain sierra softnose, 12 grains #4227 powder. We are also checking on commercial ammo available from Graf & sons. Running tests before making any suggestions.

I'm playing with the 40 grain Sierra SP made for the .22 Hornet and H110 powder. Right now 12 grains gives me about 2650 fps. I'm also going to try it with the 45 grain bullet and the .35 grain Hornady. My biggest problem is case life. I formed 50 the other day and lost five. Today I was working on the load and fired five cases. Four split at the shoulder, probably from not annealing the cases before forming. Now I've got to finally learn about annealing. But that's OK, it's about time.

Someone on another site who has the Quickload ballistics software ran a few simulations of the 5.7mm Johnson for me using 35 grain bullets.  His results were:

Alliant 2400

• COL: 1.690 inch
  • Minimum 11.5 gr - Maximum: 12.9 gr
  • Velocity: 2899 - 3180 fps

IMR-4227 powder.  

• COL: 1.690 inch
  • Minimum 14.4 gr - Maximum: 15.2 gr
  • Velocity: 2908 - 3066 fps

These are computational results produced by a computer program and are not the result of real-world testing, so proceed with caution. The results I have seen with 40 grain .224 bullets suggests that the 4227 load would be way too hot, so I plan to back down considerably for my starting loads.

The burn rate chart on Hodgdon's website http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ suggests that H110 and Accurate Arms #9 might occupy a "sweet spot" between the 2400 and 4227 powders.  Please post if you have any results from using H110.  I will continue to forge ahead with 2400 and 4227 as I already have them.