Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridge Runner

Butt Stock length? Wood Color?

3 posts in this topic

Hi -

Could someone measure the length of their butt stock wood from the end of the top of the receiver to the end of the butt stock?

Mine looks cut down, and I am trying to calculate by how much.

If you could also measure from the end of the butt stock to the rear of the butt sling swivel I would appreicate it. Mine has been removed, and I am considering putting a new one in. However, I can not tell where it should go. There is no evidence of there ever being a rear butt sling swivel on my butt stock at all.

What was the purpose of the screw in right side of the butt stock? What did it hold? Mine has been plugged and I am trying to decide if I should remove it and how.

Also, what color would original M1941 wood be? Would it be the reddish brown on 1903a3's and M1 Garands?

Measuring from the center of large key over trigger, stock should be 14.5" plus or minus 1/16". The swivel is 2" from bottom tip of stock. Small key should be 8.00" from large key. The large key is the locating point. The small key positions the recoil tube assembly and is very inportant to be correctly located as it effects bolt operation. Most sporter stocks with a plugged hole have a small piece of key stock epoxyied inside. Usually not in right location and you have to drill opposite side and drive it out. This damages wood around the hole. Check spring length=12" and for wear on coils, also buffer should be smooth when depressed and check inside tube for corrosion, pitting.

The stock is normally too thin to accept a buttplate or swivel. Originals are 1-5/8" wide at rear. Another problem with old sporter stocks are they are drilled straight through and there is nothing for the buffer flange to bear against. The buffer should bear against a shoulder to put tension on the small key and hold the recoil tube. Color on original stocks varies but the factory color film shows them being dipped in a dark color liquid, then buffed to set the finish. Some are very dark yet others seem unstained before finishing. Jim Pullens research may uncover more information on these variations.