Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayhovers

A Fourth Variation

4 posts in this topic

Many of you will remember the 1941-1944 variations of my semi auto Johnson LMG. A few weeks ago there was a First Model Dror barrel on GB. It wasn't getting any interest, so I started thinking. Could I create a First Model Dror clone? I went ahead an got the barrel not really having any idea if it might work. Turns out the barrel is really pretty close, the rear barrel bushing is exactly the same and the center bushing is slightly larger in diameter and the locking lug is spaced exactly the same distance as the 30-06 barrel. Now if I'm going to do this, its going to shoot, so can I figure out a way to make rimmed 303 work? The magazine did not seem to be a problem since the 30-06 magazine will take some 303 cartridges. The problem was going to be the bolt and chamber. Waiting for a 303 bolt to surface is problematic, so I got to thinking. Why not make 303 cartridges rimless, the same rim dimensions as the 30-06? That's the course I decided on. I modiified the chamber face of the 303 barrel slightly to accomodate the 30-06 bolt and turned down 10 303 cases. I also found that the 30-40 Krag case can be used as well. Everything works like a champ.

I've included a picture of the Dro clone and, just for fun, a picture of a "prototype."

post-577-0-05820100-1360797067_thumb.jpg

post-577-0-08633300-1360797105_thumb.jpg

Hey Jay: Of all the things, i might have a .303 bolt. Need to double check. When i 1st started messing with JSAR's i had a problem with the bolt dropping cases on extraction.

After alot of close looking i finally realised the bolt face was to large. After talking Brian i found that the bolt was a .303 bolt.

Anyway its not a good place to start a build so if i still have i, it should be avlb. if you are interested.

Ryche

Cool builds by the way, must be a blast to shoot!!!