Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spankybear

New guy here and new to the Johnson...

35 posts in this topic

Hello...

I stumbled across a Johnson and...well... had to pick it up... Have always wanted one...

Anyway, The rifle is not in the best of condition. It needs some TLC. I have been reading about them and I believe this is a Windfield?(sp) as the stock is glossy and the rifle is blued. It came with 2 barrels 1 blued and one not. The blued one has no bayo lug and the "ears" have been ground down. Same too as the muzzle wear is better.

Since I am a new guy I hope you don't mind me asking some questions. I am going to repark the rifle and refinish the stock. Also give it some TLC. I have worked on M1 Garands, M14s and M1911... I enjoy tinkering...

First questions I have is how to check head space. I have the gauges and know how to check m1s and m14s. It's easy to tell when the bolt is closed or not on them. How can you tell on the Johnson? Since there is 2 barrels I want to see if they are both ok. I kind of looked through the archives and I don't think I seen it posted.

I'll post pictures of the rifle and as I get work done.

Thanks...

To check the headspace, you should release the main spring tension by removing the bolt stop plate at rear of receiver and retracting spring follower with a small screw driver so as to disengage the link. Put gage in place with extractor engaging its rim. Then carefully push forward and lower handle to engage lugs. Bolt should close between 1.940" and 1.946" gages. If bolt closes on 1.950", have a knowledgeable gunsmith check it. Or you can remove both bolt and barrel, and check things outside of receiver. This takes a little practice to be sure bolt is straight in line. Be sure you clean the chamber, each time as rifles are sensitive to chamber condition. If gun throws shells out hard and far, check mainspriing for length, should be 12". Most original springs have taken a set and are short. If you need more information, I have a DVD (and parts) available. Use message system. Johnson's are great rifles and lots of fun. You won't hurt them by shooting. Joe

I'm new to Johnsons as well. I just finished cleaning and detailing my first and I have developed a real appreciation for the quality and workmanship.

I checked the head space by taking the barrel off and the bolt out of the rifle. Unlike Garands and M14's, the bolt does not lock to the receiver, it locks into the barrel chamber.

Insert the bolt in the barrel to see how it fits. When the teeth are aligned correctly, you can insert the bolt and turn it.

Then insert your "GO" gauge and do the same. It should insert and turn to lock the barrel and bolt together.

If the "Go" passes, then insert the "NOGO". The bolt should not insert far enough to allow it to turn and lock.

Both of my barrels closed on the "GO" and neither closed on the "NOGO" so I'm feeling pretty good.

If you do it with the barrel mounted, you will have to remove the extractor and use a punch to operate the bolt.

You should also plan to obtain the book "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns" by Bruce Canfield which will give you the history on that rifle and other Johnson inventions. It can be ordered through the author's website (see link from this site) or from Mowbray Publishing at 1 800 999 4697.

Thanks Mr Scott,

I have the Foster gauges and both barrel pass just fine. Did lots of cleaning (really needed it) and all looks fine but I have another question. When I did the trigger safety check like I do on a M1 Garand it didn't work the same. I held the trigger back and the tried to cock the hammer. On a Garand when you do this the hammer will cock. On Johnson it didn't. I think I was testing this wrong on the Johnson as I don't see the sears move like the Garand.

Other than that, the only real problem I have found is the butt plate is worn and some chip broken out on the stock.

I'll send you a message about your DVD... to see whats all on it.

Thanks again

Not an expert by any means , but I don't think this is a Winfield. I think a local gunsmith somewhere just refinished a tired rifle , somewhere . Your stock has not been cut and a rubber pad added . Your sights are still there and the one bbl has the wings and bayonet lug still attached. Would be rather inexpensive to strip and refinish the stock and refinish the metal back. A fairly easy restoration as they go. I can't tell , but has the reciever been drilled and tapped for a scope ? Hope not.

Chris

Not an expert by any means , but I don't think this is a Winfield. I think a local gunsmith somewhere just refinished a tired rifle , somewhere . Your stock has not been cut and a rubber pad added . Your sights are still there and the one bbl has the wings and bayonet lug still attached. Would be rather inexpensive to strip and refinish the stock and refinish the metal back. A fairly easy restoration as they go. I can't tell , but has the reciever been drilled and tapped for a scope ? Hope not.

Chris

No scope holes... I do my own parkerizing and stock repair/refinish... I saw this and said this should be a nice project.. The biggest thing I can find wrong so far is the rifle was VERY dirty... Dust, carbon, sand, ect... I took her completely apart and cleaned her up. The rifle seems to function much better... I have not shot it yet but I am confident there will be no problems.

Here's is of the M1 Garands receivers I refinished... It was not in the best of shape when I got it.

Before

4680160647_c6e81290fc_b.jpg

After

4680638749_151df7326f_b.jpg

Here's a 1911 I did..

Before

8242493829_28a779f027_z.jpg

after

8242392731_80ce362dc6_b.jpg

It looks like your's is still original finish. They were in the white like some carbine parts or nickel finished like some Thompson bolts , not sure which .

Man , I did not even pay attention to the forend . How could I have missed that ?

Chris

So it begins... Hope to have some of the parts parked this weekend... I don't have a tank big enough for the receiver... Hope to find one soon. I can park everytihing else though.

8631408147_192392b2c6_c.jpg

If it was mine, I would not refinish it. Looks like there is still most of the original finish remaining.

Correction, the bbl and small parts look like original finish. Don't touch them. The receiver needs to be roughened by sand/bead blasting and either blackened...with Oxpho-blue (Brownell's) or Parkerized. The Oxpho-blue on a roughened surface, then rubbed with Cosmoline, gives the closest approximation to original finish. Actually, Joseph Scott had an original receiver tested and it was found to be a form of blueing (blackening). The original specs call for the receivers to be blackened. Remember, like any correct, original military rifle, all the parts are not supposed to be the same color....as happens when they are Parkerized together.

Funny thing is some parts have been polished and blued. The trigger guard, trigger housing, trigger, bolt stop cover (sorry if I am getting the part names incorrect), one of the barrels (there's two), the charging handle and the receiver. I don't think they where polished and blued at the factory. I think the magazine is original with the exception of the door/cover, this is parked. I think the extractor was only blued and polished on one side. The spring tube had some crud (I think varnish) and some rust on the top .I was going to leave the mag alone but maybe try to park the door. It's looks like zinc park as it's a light gray. The good part was who ever did it didn't spend a lot of time polishing the parts and a media blaster should do a nice job rough them up.

The stock had some high gloss varnish on it and has been stripped off. I will be applying a few coats of BLO and I want to try some tom's 1/3 paste on top. There was a small chip on the back of the stock (rubber bands) that I fixed...

I do want to ask was the firing pin blackened/parked? There is very little finish on it and I can't tell what if any finish is on it.

As for the front hand guard... I found one at Numrich... Hops it a nice one...

Thanks for any help...

Not a fan of cold blue either but Oxpho-blue on a blasted surface, then rubbed with heavy grease like cosmoline gives the closest I have found to original finish. It is much more durable than the usual cold blue.

The firing pin was blackened as that was a smoother finish than "parked" and did not restrict motion. Same reason for polished bolt and blackened receiver. I have never learned exactly which process (brand) of blackening they used, but several were available at the time. A lot of construction details are still being researched. On phosphating, I knew a person who did long items in a vertical tank made of 4" pipe over a gas hotplate. Steel tanks work just fine after the first use coats the surface. He also saved pitted hardened M1 Garand receivers by filing with flat diamond files which kept everything flat and they came out looking original.

Yes sir I too have saved M1 receivers that where pitted... and a 1911A1... I draw file to get the pitting out.

I have a tank that will hold barrels and M1 op rods. It's not wide enough for the Johnson receiver. However I just picked up a tray (guess that's what you call them) from a food supply place for restaurants. It the type that they use in steam tables. anyway it's stainless and will work fine for the receiver... :) I have 2 coats of BLO on the stock and a new forend from Numrich in the mail. I did find a slight problem with the magazine. It seems somebody ground on one of the tabs the pin goes in. I don't think it's going to hurt anything but it's ground on. I wasn't going to refinish the mag so maybe a touch of cold blue there? I'll post pic later on.

I think I am going to park the parts this weekend (weather permitting) I think I am going to take Mr. Alperts advice and not park the small parts. I think they are original finish and are not too worn. Also I can see how my park solution looks on the parts. As you know the park will get darker/blacker as it ages.

I do have another question. Is the pin that hold the barrel latch in the receiver staked? I would like to take that off when I part the receiver.

More and more I read about this rifle the more I like it. I can't wait to shoot it. I think it's going to be a fun rifle to shoot.

Well... Got a new hand guard... and its in awesome shape... Only problem is its darker than the stock :(... The stock has 4 coats of BLO the hand guard has one.

8644960615_0a0e0dbe12_b.jpg