Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dash

How tight?

8 posts in this topic

How tight should the screws holding the hand guard and stock on be? Was thinking about taking it the range soon and didn't want to split the wood or have them falling off.

There should be a flat washer next to the wood, then an internal star lockwasher next to the head. Just a firm tight so that you can feel the lockwasher when you back off. If your wood has been sunk in due to overtightening, you may have to be a little firmer. The screw under the safety also helps hold the stock to metal, it gets just a lockwasher since it tightens against metal, not wood. Use the widest screwdriver blade you have.

Yes, the wood is compressed a little. I thought had them snugged pretty good the last couple times, but they still were loose by the time I was done. They do have all the correct lock washers, so I'll go a wee bit tighter.

Thanks!

You may want to use some Loctite Blue 242. Here is the description:

Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing.

I just take a short flat blade screwdriver to the range with me and snug the screws up every so often. Loctite® sounds like a good idea and might be worth trying, but I like to loosen my stock screws before I put the rifle back in the safe.

Same here Gman, I don't leave them tight when I store it. I have thought of using loctite, but it probably wouldn't even be set up by the time I was ready to go. I never know what's going to the range because I have sooo many to choose from.

Thanks Joe for reminding us of the lockwashers. :o Sometimes the answer is so simple that we overlook it. :lol: