Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Manufacturing knowhow?

11 posts in this topic

I have a deep interest about manufacturing beside what is published such as: who provided the special steels other than the Dutch barrel steel? Did Universal Windings have such capabilities (the leased building had been their foundry); Did UW have the forges for parts? Was the steels bought in bar forms or was it in large billets which were cut or melted to smaller pieces? Who owned all of the necessary machine tools and how many were there? the list of tools in the bankruptcy auction doesn't seem enough equipment to me. Are there more pictures of the machine shop area? Many of the parts require heat treatment to a certain hardness, who did that for JA? Did Taft-Peirce build the jigs and fixtures or did JA build them for themselves? Who/what finish (blacken) process was used? In house or outside?

These questions may not interest most collectors but as a retired engineer, I have a deep respect for the design ideas, engineering and machining talent that made the product. Perhaps others have researched and can answer some of them.

Joe Interesting questions. While I think that you have asked some before, it seems that there is a vacuum on answers. I do not know of anyone who has researched any of those things. I think it might be fun to try and see if there are answers. If I do come up with anything, I will gladly forward to you. ArtR

I thought a few of the members who live in New England might know more. I know there was more data gathered than was published in the book (as with all books). Once I went to a machine shop in Mass. where one of the deep hole barrel drills and a barrel straightening press was located. The owner knew they had come from the auction but they were not for sale. Other persons have researched various archives and have unpublished information. My idea is that as much information as possible be gathered together and preserved in one location or at least inventoried to who has what. I have two drawers full of manufacturing gages which I found in Tulsa years ago and hope to donate to the repository of Johnson history where-ever it may be. It was an outstanding feat to produce the weapons as quickly as they did. My learning to make some parts showed me how much effort it took and how well they did it. The guns are great but I think making them was even greater in my opinion. If anyone has more information, please contribute.

Some of us are still working on an appropriate location for what you describe. Preservation facilities do not come cheaply and cost money to maintain. Museums are expensive. I've always been open to suggestions.

Mr. Johnson, I'm sure you've considered donating to different gun museums around the country. You probably haven't heard about one of my favorites that is in Claremore, OK. It's the Davis Arms Historical Museum - home to over 13,000 firearms - on historic Route 66.

As it is near Tulsa, I imagine that Mr. Scott has visited. Here is the link to their website: http://www.thegunmuseum.com/

Thank you for the lead, which we'll check on. We are actually looking for a place that would be interested in all aspects of Johnson Manufacturing, as Joe Scott indicates, and not just the guns. In addition, obviously, the collection would have considerable value and this also needs to be considered.

The reason this documentation disappeared so rapidly from the factories is that all drawings and correspondence was to be returned to Springfield Armory no later than 90 days after a contract expired--so when Johnson Automatics was making Barrels for the 1917 Enfield etc., this documentation was either destroyed or returned to Springfield Armory after 90 days of contract expiration; along with all the tools and guages and other items like excess packing materials etc-- Kind of hard to believe why almost all the documentation from all the contractor's disappeared so fast after WWII-- I once talked with David ROCK-OLA in the mid -1980's and he was still put out about the carbine production mess he was involved in-- Seems like he had a Government inspector that he felt was out to destroy him personally!! This inspector routinely rejected large amounts of parts and completed guns, and when they were retested-- all passed!! So nearly 35 years after the contracts were up; that company swore off future government contracts--- Period!!

That may or may not be true for the Enfield barrel contract but not for the 1941's as they were not US contract. A fair amount of stuff remains but much was damaged by a flood (and some lost - A/B production logs) but I think there are other persons who have knowledge either from research or from local area sources such as newspapers,etc. What I hope is that it can be cataloged and maybe shared. Hopefully, an updated reference/source list can be developed. We all know that dealing with US government can be a PIA.

I met an elderly gunsmith here in New Hampshire who worked in a wood working shop in western Mass. that supplied stocks and fore grips for Johnsons. I can put you in touch with him. My email is sinker0429@yahoo.com

I met an elderly gunsmith here in New Hampshire who worked in a wood working shop in western Mass. that supplied stocks and fore grips for Johnsons. I can put you in touch with him. My email is sinker0429@yahoo.com

There is a possibility that Walt Liss may have a booth/table at the Springfield, Massachusetts gun show in late October. I may join him for part of Saturday. However, this is not definite yet. If your stock maker contact in Western MA wants to connect with us, put him in touch.