Gman

YouTube Video

8 posts in this topic

It's been around for awhile, but I just found it. One of our friends to the north shooting his M1941 with some good slow motion shots.

Although he doesn't mention it, the rifle malfunctions after the fourth slow motion shot. See if you can tell what the problem was. Here's the link:

Hey Ryche,

Great video. I love the "slow" trigger pull. Even in slow motion it looks more like a fast jerk than a pull.

He probably wasn't trying for accuracy anyway, just enjoying shooting the rifle. This isn't a criticism of the shooter's trigger finesse....just an observation.

The bolt doesn't seem to rotate into battery on that last round. That was the end of the video and possibly the movement was cut off by editing at just that point?

Or.....the chamber just got too dirty after a day of video taping?

Here's another informative video:I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information, or sequence of production, but it's a good look at several variations. (I think I have a "Taft-Pearce" model but don't know how to tell if it's "real" or just a talented Bubba did it? I like it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=00CSFRzzzWE

The Taft-Pearce and "Daisy Mae" look real. The other "prototypes" are LMG look-a-likes assembled on modified JSAR receivers with LMG parts sets. #4 and #5 are 8mm and 303 Israeli Drors assembled on modified JSAR receivers. All except the Taft-Pearce and Daisy Mae were featured in a Rock Island Auction a couple of years ago and advertised as rare prototypes, in spite of multiple letters to the auction company questioning the authenticity.

If you look closely, you will see that the bolt didn't make it all the way back on the fourth shot and the brass was reinserted into the chamber. Therefore, the bolt did not lock. So, I would call it a short cycle with a failure to eject. You can watch it real time in the middle of the film and you will notice that the brass does not eject. As for the cause, I can only relate what happened to me. One of mine did the same thing due to chamber roughness. Since I polished the chamber, she's been good as new.

Gman,

I'll agree that a rough or dirty chamber may be the culprit. Joe Scott has discussed this in detail several times. Polishing the chamber, as you did, usually does the trick.

Brian,

I do remember that auction with the "proto-type" Johnsons. Several people let them know of their concerns as to whether those firearms were actually early prototypes or newly made of older parts. It would be acceptible to build yourself a "proto-type look-a-like" as long as you represent it as such and don't try to fool anyone. The auction house chose to look the other way I suppose.

The same guy who had them built was at the big show in Phoenix this past weekend. He was the only one with a Johnson on his table. The finish was nice but i was highly suspect of the wood. It was way too nice. I'm gonna have to look closer for the Non ejection in the video i missed that. Ryche

I was only aware that an unpolished chamber was a problem on extraction of a fired case, not on insertion of a fresh, properly sized round. Since this JSAR failed to eject, reinserting a fired casing could easily make it difficult for the bolt to fully engage / lock.

Upon re-reading this thread I can see that I misread a comment that answered the topic. My apologies.