Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WallyatPearl41

New Member here, just saying "Hello" to everyone !!

16 posts in this topic

Hello & Merry Christmas !! I've just joined the site a day ago & am very excited to have access to such a wealth of Johnson info.

I have 2 Johnsons both w/ the "B" preffix serial #'s. One is still in it's military configuration w/ bayonet/scabbard & sling. Second one has had front sight changed to lyman tapered pistol style & bayo lug removed.

I have an original bayonet lug to replace the missing one & thankfully the machined step/seat has not been removed from the barrel !!

What I need/looking for are the correct pins (for bayo lug & front sight) along w/ the front sight sight as well.

If possible I'd like to contact/communicate w/ Mr. Joseph Scott as I have his tear down video for the '41 Johnson & know he does reproduce some parts. The one Johnson I have he had worked on for the previous owner & I would like to talk w/ him about that to verify a few things if possible. However I'm aware as Mr. Scott has stated his health was giving him some issues & do not want to be a bother. Want to wish him the best in a quick recovery though either way.

So, if anyone has any extra front sights, even one w/ ears cut off & mounting pins let me know & thank you !!

Oh yea, one more question. Can anyone give me an educated guess on what an original unmodified parkerized Chilean 7mm barrel may be worth. It has a mint bore & excellent rifling.

Thanks again for letting me join !!

I have a ft. sight avlb. shoot me a P.M. and we can talk. Brian will have a good clue as to what the barrel would be worth. I'll trade ya for a ft. sight :) laugh

Ryche

Original JSAR 7mm bbl for some reason are not as desirable as 30/06 and as such, do not bring near as much. $350-650 seems to be the going rate. Chilean originals have a Navy Arms import stamp on the underside. Replacements are without the import stamp and may or may not have proof marks. One of the California parts dealers had a large stock of replacement 7mm bbls several years ago. Remember, these are all converted Mauser bbls and are "stepped" rather than belled over the chamber.

Brian,

thank for your reply, I'm w/ you on everything you said as my research has come up w/ the same results in the past. Actually, some of it came from your older posts/replies & most from Bruce's "Johnson rifles" book & of course the Johnson web site. I was curious as to the value & that gives me an idea then. Not planning to sell it as of yet, I like keeping some extras around !!

thanks again !!

Ryche,

thanks will do in the next day or less. Thanks for the trade offer but I'm not selling it at this point. I know you were kinna joking, but never hurts to ask..right !!!

Be in touch soon

I think for the "pins" I'll just get the right size round stock & cut to length & install using lock tite as Mr. Scott stated in his video ?? Also, has anyone had any exp. replacing the bayonet catch & rivet ?? If so any tips greatly appreciated before I attempt it !! Have an original rivet & catch already. thanks again !!

The pins for lug and sight are taper pins, #2/0 Morse taper x 5/8" lg. You will need to ream with the proper taper reamer after installing parts. If you are using original parts, test fit pins or reamer to determine which side they enter. The lug faces bottom. Align the sight by looking down receiver with barrel installed. When it looks straight, set it. You can sometimes find the pins at hardware stores but usually 1" lg. Cut to length and round cut end with file. Cold blue or repark. Front sight step is 1.375" from muzzle and lug is 2" back of that.

Mr. Scott...thank you for the response !! Would you mind if I pm you. I promise I'll "try" to keep it short & to the point !! But, again I do have your tear down video (DVD) along w/ one of you repo butt stocks (a spare kept on hand) But really would like to chat about the one Johnson I purchased, previous owner stated you had done some work to it, Front sight replaced due to original having ears removed, I'd like to have one w/ ears removed to put back on ?? I know may sound strange to do !!!

thanks again for your reply !!

Curious,

O.k. will PM you for more details.

thank you for responding !!

Ryche_me

I did send you a pm on 12/26/14 about the front sight if you didn't get it let me know as i'm still interested & will sends another !!

thank you

Wally: I'm sorry i did get the P.M. but haven't had the time to check my stuff. I have two birthdays right at Christmas time 1 my wife and 2 is my now 11 yr. old son.

My apologies for not getting back sooner i'm heading into my shop today and will find it.

Ryche

I may be wrong , but I believe when we replaced my front sight and installed the lug I bought from Joesph , my gunsmith used AR-15 front sight pins to install .

Chris

Wanted to give a shout out & a "thank you" to members Ryche_me & curious for helping me out !! I now have both front sights I needed !! So "THANKS GUYS !!" I appreciate it greatly !!

emmagee1917 (Chris),

will look into that suggestion.

thanks !!