Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRB99

Best way to sell a modified Johnson

4 posts in this topic

I've owned a Johnson for decades, one that my father had modified by having a scope mount installed on top of the receiver by flattening it down. The scope is still on. The rifle was highly accurate and not used for more than a few deer hunts.

The barrel also had the front sights removed and he had someone carve diamond grips into the hand-grip area of the stock. At some point later they milled those down and put in leather inserts which, believe it or not, made it much better to handle.

I've had it at a well-known gun store for many months on consignment, but have had no firm offers and am wondering the best way to sell it. I would prefer not having people come to my home to see it.

Ideas? Suggestions?

What are you asking for it?

Try offering it here to the members of this Forum or putting it on one of the Auction sites.

A few members here go to gun shows across the country, they might be willing to take it to a show on consignment to give it good exposure for sale.

Good luck. M. J.

In my opinion....and I collect and deal in JSARs... the value is based on the cost of returning them to original military configuration with a final value of $3500-$4000 for a "restored" specimen. (Professional restorations by named firms....Joseph Scott, Milteck, go for $500-1000 more. In the case of your's, with the sight dovetail milled off, this is not possible without welding on a new dovetail, a procedure frowned upon due to probable warping of the receiver. In addition, the stock and bbl are no longer correct. All you have is a "shooter" or "parts set" with quite limited value. Recently, high end sporter JSARs have gone for around $2000 and these were restorable. Your's should go in the $1200-1500 range. All the receiver could be used for would be a JLMG semi-auto receiver by doing the necessary milling modifications and adding a type 2 rear sight base. When realistically priced, they sell.

I've had the urge to make / buy a 1941 JLMG semi-copy for quite some time . I'd be interested in your rifle at $1200 . I'd pay the frt and dealer fee on my end . You can keep the scope and mounts.

Chris