Alasdair MacDonald

Johnson rifles rebuild

24 posts in this topic

Hey Joe, are you accepting Johnson rebuilds. I have a Windfield sporter that I want to convert back to military. Needs new wood and the barrel, although in good shape, is from a Garand. I think I have all the parts and want to put it back the way it came off the assembly line. Repark and all. Price no object. Let me know. Will pay in advance.

Cordially, Alasdair

Greetings Mitch J, yes I have been very busy, wife and I opened two restaurants where we are in San Francisco Bay area. I think I have all the parts and want to put this "B" series back to military standards. I hope all the basic gang is still operating here to keep this knowledge going. Gun shows here selling high mileage Johnson's and are going for $4,000 and up, good grief! All the best, cordially, Alasdair

Hi Alasdair

Be patient. I expect Joe will probably contact you personally either by reply to this topic or by PM when he has time, but he has had a few issues and may still be dealing with them.

ArtR

I know his situations and he has my thoughts and prayers. I wait, I am retired so I am very patient. I need to go back into law enforcement, I am not use to working for a living. Only joking to my fellow porkers. Cordially, Alasdair

Alasdair (and others)....I am trying to see if we can create another source for Johnson SAR & LMG repairs. This may take time. Ed J

I will continue to sell new wood (currently waiting on blanks) and existing parts. We are looking for a gunsmith to take over the Johnson restoration business. Ed found someone whom I plan to visit this summer and talk with. I have a lot of original parts, dozens of factory gages, and lots of jigs and fixtures to make parts that I will try to inventory this summer. It has been more than fun and I have met hundreds of nice people over the years. PS- my old land line number is out of service. Joe

I have a Miltech restoration in addition to an original rifle.  n my opinion, Miltech does an extremely high quality job.  However, they are very slow since they are a small shop, with a limited number of people who do the Johnson work, and have a high volume of customers.  It would not be unusual for you to have to wait a year for the job to be completed.

I have been waiting over 3 years for my Johnson restoration.  I'm thinking maybe they sold my rifle.  I get nothing but excuses for not getting it down.

How much is Miltech getting to restore a JSAR now?  What do they get for a restored JSAR with crate, manual and bayonet.

According to their website, "Pricing quoted on request. " http://www.miltecharms.com/rifles.htm

Last person I spoke with who had contacted them, and that was several years ago, said pricing was based on several factors, including if he had a rifle for restoration, the current condition of the rifle, and a few other factors that I cannot remember. He said at that time they were not quoting prices on rifles that were not owned currently and available for just restoration.

I have a Miltech restoration which I bought from a private individual.  I have not had any dealings with Miltech myself. The 1941 Johnson JSAR which I have is about as perfect as you would expect a brand new firearm to be. I can't find any flaws and I'm very pleased with it. I don't remember at the moment what I paid for it but the next time I open my gunsafe I'll check my records and let you know if you are interested. It seems that the figure was around $4800.00 but that was several years ago. It came in a wood crate, with a reproduction bayonet and repro owners manual.

If you have the opportunity to buy an existing Miltech restoration then I would go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Since that purchase I also acquired a Miltech restored Garand and it's like new also......actually they are too new looking....hehehe. If you want patina you'll have to apply that yourself.

Brian, at this point we still do not have anyone to replace what Joe has been doing. I'm thinking out loud that maybe you can refer Alasdair to the guy who did your DROR work, with the understanding that it will be a LONG wait. I don't know what else to suggest, other than the Miltech idea. So far, I've had no bites up here in New England. Maybe when Walt gets his house finished we can take another look, but that won't be for a couple of months at least. I'm open to any other suggestions from other users of this site. It is frustrating.  Ed J

Miltech Restoration looks very nice. I have not heard any major complaints about their work.

Joe, that sounds like very promising news. Please keep us posted. Thank you very much.   Ed J

On 1/4/2016 at 5:50 PM, Brian Alpert said:

How much is Miltech getting to restore a JSAR now?  What do they get for a restored JSAR with crate, manual and bayonet.

$1875  Over 3 years ago.  Haven't seen my JSAR since.  When I inquire about it's status, all I get is BS !!!