Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldtirediron

Off Topic's?? Colt 601 Parts !

4 posts in this topic

Anyone have any early Original Colt 601 parts for sale? I am doing a Colt 601 build and need a chrome 601 slickside bolt carrier, Bolt catch early trigger parts--- I know this is a Johnson Page but the Colt 601 is the ultimate grandchild of the Johnson Series of Rifles and LMG'S   Let me know what you might have for sale or trade !

i

Did a 604 build a few years ago. I have numerous AR parts but none of them are original Colt or very old.

My father was involved, at one point, with the AR-10 project and development. It has been noted that the AR-10 did somewhat resemble a Johnson 1941 LMG in terms of some styling and design. It also specifically utilized the Johnson 1941 Rifle & LMG multi-lug bolt design. Those features carried over later on to the AR-15/16 designs as well as the lesser-known 600 series. I suppose, in that sense, it can be said that those later weapons were "grandchildren" of the JLMG. But in fairness to historians, there were additional features contributed by other designers besides Melvin Johnson, including Eugene Stoner.

There is a more detailed description of Dad's involvement with the AR-10 contained in the book "Johnson's Rifles & Machine Guns" authored by Bruce Canfield on pages 226 - 229 which can be ordered from Mowbray Publishers at 1-800-999-4697.