Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

"Cheeks" on original stocks

5 posts in this topic

I believe I found the reason for use of the glued-on "cheeks".  I have trouble from the mill getting 3" thick wood per the  original style stocks w/o "cheeks".  The reason is that 12/4" wood takes a minimum of three years to dry/season for gun stocks.  The saw mills are reluctant to cut it this thick and hold it for drying.  8/4" wood (2") is usual for stocks, now and during ww2, there was a large demand for US stocks of 8/4" and it dries quicker.  It seems that force drying walnut weakens it and causes internal splits. Glueing on "cheeks" from small scraps seems the only answer.  I bought some 12/4" wood locally (Tx) and sealed the ends with wax per recommendations and it is already starting to split internally. Drying walnut for stocks can take up to 10 years for premium wood.  I am going to Missouri to the mill and see if we can work something out. Lots of information on the internet. Little did I know.

Joe

I believe you are correct, and if I am not mistaken, I have read that some place before, and not very recently either. If memory serves me, it was cheaper to glue on the cheeks to existing stock blanks than it was to order larger blanks. I will poke around and see if I can find where I had originally read that. Maybe "the book"?

Even the WW2 Germans had to wait for their walnut to dry.  There is a picture of blanks stacked for drying in 1945.  This is likely why they went to laminated stocks during the war.  The cheeks were definitely cheaper (scraps) vs another board foot of walnut.

Went to two companies in Mo. about thick wood.  Just not available unless order $10,000 worth and wait to dry.  Finally settled on 2" thick and I will add the "cheeks" myself.  Hope to have a new batch ready in 2-4 months.  Will post notice when ready.