Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtexpres

Johnson 1941 Barrel needed

12 posts in this topic

I came into a Johnson from an old (now passed away) marine that told me he wanted one during WWII but his company was issued m-1 garands and he wasn't having a special rifle all to his own.  In the early 1950's he got his Johnson.  For many years he shot it and even used it on deer, elk, and bear.  Then came the bore getting destroyed by corrosive ammo.  Warren was sick about his rifle after being in the marines he made the mistake of forgetting to clean the barrel after a day of target shooting and when he saw the barrel he put it away and didn't do anything for many years.  When his health began to fail he called me over and showed me the gun and told me the story.  What I would like to do is restore Warrens old Johnson and be able to shoot it again.  I am asking you Johnson lovers how, where, or when I might be able to purchase a barrel.  One fellow gun lover came up with plans and prints to convert a 1903 springfield barrel to a Johnson.  I don't want to go this way unless I have to.  If any of you can help I would like to hear from you.  thank you  Tim  360-271-3172

Original Johnson barrels are seldom on the market and when they are, the price is high. Last year I bought an LMG barrel for $600 which turned out to be a bargain. 9 days ago one sold on Gunbroker for $1,810 (ridiculous) http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=557123621

It would definitely be better to have an original barrel, but a 1903 barrel or even an M1 Garand can be turned to fit. A previous thread indicated Criterion has been asked if they would make them, but responded they would need a minimum order of 50. Who knows, maybe there would be enough interested from this web site to meet that threshold?

Check with Joseph Scott, this site, he may still have barrels that he made for the JSAR. PM him and ask.

I am out of replacement barrels and can't see to cut the threads.  I have lugs but no sights currently.  Hope to have some in 1-2 months.  Can see to machine for those items whenever I get sights.  To remove a sporter ramp sight, you must remove blade as there is a small hidden screw under the blade. Some come off easy but some are also soldered on.  Sometimes you must grind them loose.  The straight steps are .565" for sight and .591" for lug.

Contact me.  I may have what you are looking for <brian.alpert@louisville.edu>

Guys we are finally beck in the house that burned last Feb 11th I am now starting to go thru my Johnson things a so far I got original bayonets that survived the fire with scabbthey have cleaned up pretty nicely some are numbered some are not. I'll try to post pictures if I can. I haven't got to the barrels yet. Remember this was a petty serious fire As bad as Jims. Walt 

I hate to bring back this thread, but I am also in need of a 30-06 barrel. Do we have any movement on sources, and / or a consensus on what the best barrels are to turn down to Johnson barrels, and who can turn them? Do we also have a source for new military stocks? I was thinking of having Dan Block make me one, but he needs a sample to copy which I do not have.

Best Regards,

-Tim

Joseph if by chance you make some more barrels for the 1941 Johnson i would like one if possible Thank You 

For barrels, you might also check with Walt Liss on this site?

Haven't had anyone respond to PM's yet. Ready to buy, no where to send the money. I know no one here is running a Johnson business, but if there was a sticky that listed the people that commonly sell parts (and which parts they sell, and prices even, if possible), that would be a HUGE time saver for both new people asking, and the regulars on here that have to answer.

Contact me <brian.alpert@louisville.edu>  I will see what I have.