bdm

Checking Head Space On A Johnson Rifle

5 posts in this topic

Question for the experts can you use regular head space gauges for the Johnson rifle.I have military ones i use for my M1s if so do you do it the same way  as the M1.Thank You

Yes, you can use same gages.  In the gun, hook extractor over gage lip first and close gently.  Operating handle should close on go gage (1.946") and not on no-go (1.950").  Do not force handle.  If you do it out of gun, it is little tricky to get alignment.  I have seen a replacement barrel which had a short chamber and would not close on 1.940" minimum gage.   Every original barrel were within specs.  A more common problem is superfine pitting in chamber making extraction difficult and preventing cycling.

Thank You so much Joseph for your time and help Gary

This is an original Johnson barrel the bolt would not close on my 1.1950 no gage hooking extractor over gage lip as you directed a little tricky as you said and it would close on a go gage 1.946 I should be able to shoot my Johnson with no problems Thank You Gary

On 7/5/2016 at 4:57 PM, Joseph Scott said:

Yes, you can use same gages.  In the gun, hook extractor over gage lip first and close gently.  Operating handle should close on go gage (1.946") and not on no-go (1.950").  Do not force handle.  If you do it out of gun, it is little tricky to get alignment.  I have seen a replacement barrel which had a short chamber and would not close on 1.940" minimum gage.   Every original barrel were within specs.  A more common problem is superfine pitting in chamber making extraction difficult and preventing cycling.

I went back and found this from Joe in response to a question about using "regular" 30.06 headspace guages.