Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
taharad

Mainspring Follower

8 posts in this topic

Looks like an unfinished home made job.  The holes through the originals are to vent the air when cycling and the two rings are to reduce friction.  The small cross hole on left side connects with a hole through from the bottom and these must be cleaned with small wire or drill.  I have found many plugged with grease.

Joe,

I think you are right about it being a modified part.  I got this and another odd part from Steve Kessler of WAC.  I do not know why this part was made either.  Maybe some one knows.

P1060506.JPG

P1060507.JPG

That is a bolt stop plate which goes on the rear of a Johnson receiver.  It slides down into grooves and the little plunger goes into a hole to retain it.  The long end fits into the stock but is not a tight fit so it can remove for field stripping.

i can't tell from your pictures as they are too close.  Originals all had the long rear end.  if the one on right does not have it, it has been cut off.  There are lots of pictures on the web showing them installed.

The one on the right is a normal part and has not been cut.  I posted the pictures of the mainspring follower and bolt stop plate because they are both unique and came from Winfield Arms when they liquidated their parts.