Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rack Grade

Cross Pin vs. No Cross Pin

6 posts in this topic

I need a bit of an education:

Why do some JSARs have cross pins forward of the rotary mag and others do not.  

Some have cross pins in the forend carve-out.  Others the forend has the carve out but no cross pin.  And on some (Miltech I think?) the forend doesn't even have the carve out and of course there is as a result no cross pin.

If there is a carve-out but no cross pin is that bad?

- Confused New Collector

All original forearms had the cut-out and cross-pin. Because the little spring which retained the pin was not available, it was common to install a blind (short) pin and make new wood cover it to keep it in place.  The cross pin holds the magazine in alignment and is important to proper functioning.  I used to make the retainers but no longer can see to do them.  That little retainer had no part number and probably was considered part of the forearm from some supplier.  If you have a cut out, the retainer is likely broken leaving part still attached to the wood with a small twisted nail.  Save the nail.  If anyone can find a 3/16" pin, with a spring loaded ball in the side, it would work.  A short 3/16" roll pin would work also.

Bought a handful of front and rear cross pins from Numrich.

Anyone needs one shoot me a message and an address and I can drop one in an envelope for you.

New question:  regarding the front cross pin:  the "cross pin lever" - the part that protrudes 90 degrees off the end of the pin to keep it from going all the way through and out the left side of the rifle, this rotates up into a little curled retainer which is attached to the forend right side in the notch.    I don't see this in the Numeric inventory, nor is it on the exploded parts view (that I can see)  What is this little retainer called and do any of you know where I can get a few?

Exploded view:  has #10 - the cross pin, but I don't see the little retaining piece that holds it there.   Ohhhhh, my old eyes......

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Johnson-33325/Semi-Auto1941-36753.htm

It is a front cross pin spring clip and they are very hard to come by.  Joseph Scott made them for a while but gave up since over half of them broke during fabrication.