EXCELSIOR03

Tool Room Sample #3

7 posts in this topic

There is a JSAR on Gun broker Being billed as Tool Room Sample #3, with a serial number of S3.  The seller has an extremely long description of this rifle with lots of impressive sounding details.

Just wondering, can Ed Johnson, or Joseph Scott, or anyone else weigh in as to whether they believe this is the real article?

Yes, based on the info and what we know has transpired in the past, I agree with Joe and would insist on proper provinance before endorsing the claim.

I would like to define the word: "Provenance" for the newer collectors here. We absolutely depend on provenance for the definitive word on the originality of any high dollar collectible.

Provenance.jpg

I would consider the "record of ownership" to be a key factor here. Thank you for providing the definitions.   ej

In the Mid-1970's Winchester sold off  many Johnson rifles and boxes of new parts, incomplete rifles,etc., There were many rifles that came numbered like this one, as they were parts from rifles that were never assembled ,spare parts-- I know R.J. Perry assembled many Johnson rifles from his parts piles, And all of them had handstamped serial numbers like this !