hatrick

Charging Handle Pin Question/Problem

8 posts in this topic

I just recently picked up a really nice 1941 Johnson rifle and I finally got around to taking it apart.  Everything was going as expected until I tried taking the charging handle off.  I was able to pinch the head of the spring loaded pivot pin and get that pulled out but I could never get the handle to slide forward and off of the bolt.  After a long, frustrating fight, I finally unscrewed the little round plate that holds the spring loaded pivot pin in place and once that was removed I could see that the pin that connects the handle to the bolt was there and I had to turn the rifle so the handle was facing the floor and lightly tap the handle until that little pin finally fell out through the handle allowing the handle to slide forward off the bolt.  Should that internal pin be somehow connected to the pivot pin so when you pull up on that it disengages the internal pin that connects the handle to the bolt??  Mine just has a straight pin that in no way locks into the pivot pin.  Should it have notch or groove to lock together?  Here are some pics.

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

These are the correct internal components of the operating handle.  Note the notch on the pin which locks the assembly to the bolt.DSCN1208.JPG

Thanks for the reply and picture Brian.... I had a feeling that pic should have a notch in it.  What is the overall length of that pin so I can make sure mine is the right length?  Also, is looks slightly tapered at the end opposite the notch, is that correct?

If anyone has a correct notched pin they would be willing to part with it would be greatly appreciated.  Otherwise I guess I need to make my own once I can get some measurements from an original.

Thanks...

The pin is tapered and notched, as in the picture and measures 0.742" in length.  I have never seen one loose, let alone for sale.  Should be easy to fabricate out of appropriate drill stock, notching it with a Dremel tool.  I have the rest of the internal assembly.

Thanks for the additional dimensions Tom.... I was able to make a pretty damn accurate replacement using a 1/8" drill bit shank.  Looks and works great.  Thanks again to all.