wheelin

My JSAR Story

10 posts in this topic

So the story goes something like this:

My grandfather, being needed on the home-front during the War as a skilled auto-body sheet metal worker/painter, did his part for the War in one of manufacturing plants in Los Angeles.

Sometime in late 45 or early 46, my grandmother says grand was at a bar in LA talking with a Marine that needed money and not a rifle. They agreed on a price (I think around $50,grandma said) and this is how the family gained possession of our JSAR.

Does the story sound reasonable. My mother tells me he used it as his deer and elk rifle until his death from cancer associated with chemicals in the spray paints he used (no OSHA back then).

Anyway, here is the serial number of the rifle. Could it have been one of few used in the Pacific campaign early in the War?

Thanks in advance for any input.

myjsar.jpg

The serial # on the pictured rifle is listed in Bruce Canfield's "Johnson's Rifles and Machine Guns" in table 3, on page 249 as being one of 23 transferred to the Marine Corps March 26, 1942. The source for this information is identified as the" Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Company, Records of Receipts and Transfers of Johnson Semi-Automatic Rifles."

Is the bar story reasonable? Who knows.

The serial number of 9313 is indeed mentioned on page 249 of the book "Johnson Rifles and machine Guns" by Canfield. Some additional photos showing the condition of the rifle would be helpful. And I've heard crazier bar stories. And $50 was a fair piece of money back in the 1940's. If you have other part numbers, it might help us also. Meanwhile....I strongly suggest that you obtain a copy of the book itself, which will give you much more info on what you have. If none are available, the publisher is Mowbray at 1 800 999 4697.

You have the "Holy Grail"......one of the original 23 JSARs transferred to the USMC early in 1942.  Only around 750 JSARs were procured by the USMC and the serial numbers of less than 50 are known.  Rifles such as yours with absolute proof of USMC use are rare indeed and most desirable.

My sincerest thanks to every one of you who responded. I will try to get one of my daughters to take photos that I can post. I’m disabled and will have to walk them through which views may be relevant. Also, since I have to walk them through the field-stripping process; which part numbers would be easiest to find with the minimum of fuss to help with authentication.

I field-stripped the firearm over 25 years before I became paralyzed, so although I have taken them to the range and allowed them to fire a few rounds and then clean barrel, I’ll have to verbally walk them carefully through the process of disassembly.

I do know that there are two modifications that my grandfather made: 1. He removed the bayonet lug. 2. He removed and either ground and polished the original butt plate or fabricated a stainless steal one that he acid etched. Also, the blue macrame strap was made by me when I received the rifle at age 14 (it will show when I post the photos). Since, it will eventually be passed on to my nephew with the story of its origin, it is nice to find a forum where the rifle has passionate admirers.

Thank you again Ed, Douglas, and Brian. Your replies were much valued. Ordered a copy of Canfield’s book today (thanks for that tip). I hope to be able to add a set of photos to the post for your observations as soon as possible, your comments make the rifle sound like it may be a historic gem.

When you get to dissemble the rifle, here is how it left the factory.  Let us know what matches

Received from Cranston Arms 3/13/42

Stock #2

Bbl #3522E

Hammer block #A0336

Hammer #1341

Bolt #A0760

Locking cam #A0087

Firing pin #A8989

Extractor #6473

Magazine #A3391

Transferred to New River, N.C. 3/26/42

Thanks Brian, I will certainly let you know. My daughter was able to see the Serial# on the Bolt and it matches the # you gave. Bolt #A0760

Here are photos of my rifle. They are not great but I had to have my wife take them since I am disabled. 

PatG (wheelin) 

JSAR01.jpg

JSAR02.jpg

JSAR03.jpg

JSAR04.jpg

JSAR05.jpg

JSAR06.jpg

Please do not read to lightly the term “holy grail” that Brian used, with seemingly original model 41s bringing $7,000 - $8,000.

I don’t Think there is an established value in the recent market for a verifiable USMC jsar. 

Would anyone dare guess? My guess is double. Maybe more?

just fun to wonder,Phil

PatG (wheelin)

Check your PM (personal messages ...top right of page)