Brian Alpert

NGD Louisville this weekend

9 posts in this topic

I will have 2 tables at the NGD Show in Louisville this weekend.  Several JSARs of all grades and both Johnson and Dror LMG look-a-likes.  Stop by and talk Johnsons.

DSCN0583.JPG

Brian,

That's a very impressive display. I hope that you do well. I've always liked the looks of that slick "Winfield Sporter"  with the Monte Carlo stock, scope and plated gold accents.

Is this the one I've seen with gold plated sling swivels, trigger guard, ejector? Seems like the word "Alaskan" comes to mind in the description...maybe the scope?

Brian, that's quite a collection. Perhaps even Dad would be jealous. Hope it goes well......    ej

The slick Winfield sporter with the gold accents is not a Winfield but put together by a custom gunsmith in Chicago.  Remember several years ago the gold accented custom sporter with highly carved stock on Gunbroker?  It ran for a around 18 months, slowly coming down from a "buy it now" of $5000.  The stock had been damaged and professionally restored but was not guaranteed to not break at the wrist repair. An extra sporter stock was included.   I finally contacted the seller and got it for $2000.  I later replaced the repaired highly carved stock with a high end checkered Winfield Monte Carlo which I got off Ebay for a song and changed out the bbl for a Winfield 270.  I usually remilitarize sporters but this was too pretty.  At any rate, it has been on my table for over 3 years @$3100 without so much as a nibble.  Everyone remarks what a tragedy it was to do this to a Johnson.  They were not around in the 50's when nobody wanted military rifles and custom gunsmiths did conversions .

Dad had a Winfield Sporter at one point, so you're in good company. I think he sold it to a friend but I wasn't able to locate it after Dad died in 1965. Beautiful gun.

Not much of a show as far as sales were concerned but did a lot of talking and educating.  Think I have a JSAR and look-a-like sold in the next few weeks.  Attached are pictures of the table.  Note the WW 2 USMC Unertl Sniper scope with micarta tube I found at the Show of Shows last weekend.

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

I live on the West Coast and we don't get tables like that out here. Brian, if I ever happen to see you I'm sure I'll be happy to hang around a while and talk Johnsons. By the way, that's a great story and I remember that highly accented JSAR on GB that was there forever. Always wondered who would've bought it.