Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
webmaster

Photo of JSAR in use with Dutch colonial Troops

22 posts in this topic

Interesting photo of a Dutch colonial troops on parade with JSARs. I would guess this is the Netherlands West Indies forces rather than KNIL troops due to the ethnicity of the soldiers  

Note use of US pattern M1907 leather slings. 

IMG_0518.PNG

Nice. I like seeing older pics of milsurp rifles being used or carried.

I seem to remember that photo from either another source or post. The bayonets were the striking item that I remembered.

Pictures of Johnsons in Military use:

I love the photo too. While examining it for other things like what sort of ammo pouches are in use, I found an interesting glitch:

Dutch troops with rifles.jpg

Previously I posted a couple of other pictures of foreign troops with Johnsons including one of troops training for the "Bay of Pigs" invasion of Cuba.

Johnons_in_Cuban_service_Bay_of_Pigs.jpg

Cuban teens:

Johnson_in_Cuban.jpg

Cuban Snipers?

Johnson_in_Cuban_service_2.thumb.jpg

Sniper in tree:

Johnson_in_Cuban_service_x.thumb.jpg.ded.jpg

A G.I. with a Johnson:?

johnson_carbine_300.jpg

Thats not just any Johnson, thats a para carbine i believe.

Ryche

Good catch on the bolt handle in the 1st pic. :)

If I am not mistaken that is Capt.(later LTC) Torgerson.  He was one of the original Paramarines.  MMJ gave him a Daisy Mae which he carried throughout the war.

According to the book Paramarine! by Chris Mason, the Marine in the photo is Lieutenant Robert J Leonard holding Major Torgerson's carbine.  On his chest is a medical kit stenciled "S14-075 First Aid Paratroop". 

The last photo appears to definitely be a "Daisy Mae" Carbine but it wouldn't make sense to use a JLMG magazine pouch per se, as the horizontal magazines would not be feeding the JSAR rotary magazine as there would have been no feed lips for that magazine. And the photo of the soldier holding the carbine and wearing the pouch does not seem to match the photos we have of Torgerson in the book (Johnson Rifles & Machine Guns, by Canfield). But yes....very nice to have such a photo.    ej

Torgerson might have had two carbines.  The one he had at Bougainville has the vertical stripe on the buttstock.  The one he has at Camp Pendleton (Canfield book) does not.  The Pendleton carbine also has the block behind the rear sight. 

P1060584.JPG

P1060583.JPG

P1060581.JPG

P1060582.JPG

P1060585.JPG

Decent photos and detail. Are all of these from the Chris Mason Paramarine! book?   ej

Thank you. Do you know if there are any other photos of Johnson Rifle or machine Gun in the Chris Mason book? I do know about the material in the Canfield book, as I was involved in helping to get it written.  Ed J

Thank you. It sounds like it might be worthwhile for me to obtain a copy of the book.   ej

This string has veered away from the original post about Dutch colonial troops.  I am closing it if you wish to continue open a new discussion please.