Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
webmaster

May 2017 Rock Island Auction

9 posts in this topic

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/70/3439#detail

Looks like a fair LMG.  I think the estimate shown is too low. 

They also have a JSAR, S/N B6540.  Estimate is probably pretty accurate.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/70/3606#detail

I like this MG34.  Though it's semi-dewat, my 07/02 SOT says he can fix it and get it to run.  Now all I need is the insurance to kick out some money for the guns I lost in the house fire.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/70/2510#detail

On 3/19/2017 at 6:19 PM, webmaster said:

I checked Johnson/Canfield book. JLMG # 0468 not listed.  ej

IMG_0546.PNG

10 hours ago, greerhw said:

You can't buy the LMG unless you are a dealer.

Yep it's a pre- may 86. So you can buy it it you have an 07/01 or 07/02 without a law letter. 

Still estimate is low. I saw one at Harrisburg mg show for $22k last year. Most likely the same one. 

10 hours ago, greerhw said:

You can't buy the LMG unless you are a dealer.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:45 AM, greerhw said:

Sorry I was thinking about German import machine guns after 1968.

I'm not following your point here.  You can buy any MG so long as it's on the registered NFA registry with a Form 4 or Form 3 and not either a pre or post May 86 'dealer sample', with a registration date prior to the May 86 cut off.  Doesn't matter if it's German or not, thus the reasonable amount of H&K MP5's and G3's that were imported and registered immediately prior to the enactment of the Hughes Ammendment in 1986.

A little history lesson about the "Hughes Amendment" that caused this mess. From Wikipedia: In the morning hours of April 10, 1986, H.Amdt.777 Amendment passed the House by voice vote, and the House held recorded votes on three amendments to FOPA in Record Vote No's 72, 73, and 74. Recorded Vote 72 was on H.AMDT. 776, an amendment to H.AMDT 770 involving the interstate sale of handguns; while Recorded Vote 74 was on H.AMDT 770, involving primarily the easing of interstate sales and the safe passage provision. Recorded Vote 74 was the Hughes Amendment that called for the banning of machine guns. Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), one of my favorite politicians, at the time presiding as Chairman over the proceedings, claimed that the "amendment in the nature of a substitute, as amended, was agreed to." However, after the voice vote on the Hughes Amendment, Rangel ignored a plea to take a recorded vote and moved on to Recorded Vote 74.[9][10] The bill, H.R. 4332, as a whole passed in Record Vote No: 75 on a motion to recommit. Despite the controversial amendment, the Senate, in S.B. 49, adopted H.R. 4332 as an amendment to the final bill. The bill was subsequently passed and signed on May 19, 1986 by President Ronald Reagan to become Public Law 99-308, the Firearms Owners' Protection Act.