Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M48TANKER

Odd 1941 Johnson Bayonet on Ebay

10 posts in this topic

[Johnson Dagger bayonet.JPG

I'm always watching for Johnson bayonets. I feel like I should own every one that's ever been made.....hehehe. I'd really like to have a "dagger bayonet" as shown at the top of the photo:

I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything even close. So the search will continue.

I just found this on Ebay and I'm curious about it's authenticity. The barrel ring, spring and rivet seem correct and I think I can see a line where the blade was welded to the bottom? Have any of you ever seen a "Johnson bayonet" like this blade? http://www.ebay.com/itm/222448912746?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

s-l1600.jpg

No, not the dagger type. I've seen a few of the normal type bayos though.

I visited Doc Ross a while back and he had one.  Enough said!

Walt Liss and I have seen a dagger bayonet in a legitimate Johnson collection several years ago matching the one above. (However, it would not surprise me if "copies" were made.)  It was a prototype of the lighter dagger model, which was designed so as not to interfere with the balance of the recoil mechanism. There is a photo on page 31 of the Johnson/Canfield book.

Bruce Canfield has one of the prototypes like the one pictured on the top. I contacted him and it is not for sale at any price. If I could get my hands on one to copy, I would make a few.

Does anyone know how the Johnson Dagger bayonet attached? Are there any existing pictures of the "locking tab" or mechanism for attaching it?

On 3/30/2017 at 0:39 AM, M48TANKER said:

Does anyone know how the Johnson Dagger bayonet attached? Are there any existing pictures of the "locking tab" or mechanism for attaching it?

I found the answer to my question. It's here on "Porter's Page #29"

In short, the bayonet seems to have been made for the Taft-Peirce prototypes. These had different bayonet lugs and front sights with a lug on the bottom for attaching the "Dagger Bayonet". Here is a link to a page with all the information you might want to know.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/porters_page_29.htm

Thank you. The Porter's report does mention the late Bruce Stern. That's the collection that Walt and I saw several years ago.   ej