Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dawg180

Converting side feed to drum feed and vise versa?

10 posts in this topic

Is there any hard work (milling, etc) required to convert a side feed Johnson to a Drum Feed, or vise versa, assuming you have the proper parts?

From what I can tell the rotary magazine and the side feed LMG magazine should be interchangeable, but if one of you very knowledgeable folks could confirm that I would really appreciate it!  :)

Not sure why you would want to make such a conversion. And are you talking about converting the Johnson 1941 RIFLE or the Johnson 1941 Light Machine Gun? Also, the Canfield book "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns" makes mention of the model T-48 & T53 belt-fed JLMGs on pages 215 - 217. Presumably, a 30:06 or .270 drum magazine could also be modified to feed in through the left side of the gun, but the weight of same, fully loaded with perhaps 50 rounds or more, would cause poor balance. 

The JSAR can be converted to accept the magazine support assembly and horizontal mags from the LMG by milling off the lugs thru which the rotary mag is pinned to the receiver.  This is part of the process of modifying a JSAR receiver to accept a LMG parts set when building a LMG look-a-like in semi auto.  Obviously, once these lugs are ground off, the rotary magazine can no longer be used.

Thank you Brian, that is exactly what I was wondering!

Was mainly trying to figure out how easily a "Daisy May' could be made from a gun set up for the side feed LMG magazine well, and that answers it.... not very easily.  :)

Not easy.  JSAR LMG and DROR lowers are relatively easy to find.  The DROR vertical magazine well is difficult and is usually found in multiple pieces.  It also takes some serious fitting/welding to attach it to the modified receiver.Dror.8.03.jpgDror.8.04.jpg

It took me several years to find all the parts for mine. you can see it on Forgotten Weapons video on you tube.

Having a good doner JSAR receiver helps alot so you don't have to cut up a good one. 

keep checking e-bay and broker. Good luck

Ryche