M48TANKER

New Project, 1941 JLMG or DROR?

10 posts in this topic

It was bound to happen I suppose. I've decided to build a 1941 Johnson JLMG or a DROR look-a-like in semi auto. i would like input from some of you about the wisdom of starting such a build. I'm guessing it might take a long time to locate all the necessary parts. I'm leaning toward a 2nd pattern DROR because of the 8mm ammo. Unlike Israel once had, I don't have a stockpile of .303 ammo. I do have a bit of 8mm. Currently I own one 8mm DROR barrel and one 30.06 Johnson LMG barrel.

With the possible help of the experts on here, perhaps I'll avoid some of the pitfalls. So which is the build you would do, a Johnson LMG or a DROR.

Should I save myself all the fun of the construction process and buy one or the other?

The difficult part for either is the magazine support assembly for the JLMG (although Joseph Scott has had some produced which are for sale) or the magazine well for the 2nd model (8mm) Dror which are only found in several pieces.  Either parts set is somewhat available although the Dror is much less expensive.  The JLMG look-a-like generally goes for at least $2000+ more than the 2nd model Dror when completed.  You will need a JSAR receiver to modify for either one.  I have done both.  Come to Louisville for the next NGD show in June if you want to see them at my table.

Thanks Brian, I've been intending on coming to NGD.

I'm in Paducah, Kentucky so Louisville isn't that far from me. I do follow all your posts about that show and it appears to be a "must see" if you are interested in collectible firearms.

What is the date for the June show?

June 10th and 11th

I am usually in section D-3 or E-3

Hey Tanker: There is a DROR front end on broker right now, a little over $400 I think. You might want to check it out. Its at $415 with no bids and 5 days to go.

If you contact the seller he might be willing to go cheaper if it doesn't sell. Good luck buddy :)

Ryche

Ryche,

Thanks, I've been watching that auction, but having no idea what anything is worth, I had no idea whether it was a decent price or not? There is also a DROR 8mm bolt for sale at auction and it's not moving either. I wish I'd made a decision on exactly what to build before I went to Knob Creek earlier this month. The Creek is my best source of parts.

I already have a JSAR which has been converted to vertical feed. I sort of hate to sacrifice that nice rifle. With no provenance, it's not highly valuable, but I still believe that it was done by some professional as a prototype. The work on the stock and rifle are just far above what the average Bubba is capable of doing. It's just crafted too well.

I appreciate any and all suggestions and leads on parts. If you see something that is at a decent price just let me know. Or if you have something for sale then I might be interested in that also. So many fine firearms, and so little time.

Mike

Don't buy anything Dror (unless they give it to you) until you talk to me!  I will give you someone to contact that has most everything but the intact receiver and mag well.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:25 PM, M48TANKER said:

Ryche,

Thanks, I've been watching that auction, but having no idea what anything is worth, I had no idea whether it was a decent price or not? There is also a DROR 8mm bolt for sale at auction and it's not moving either. I wish I'd made a decision on exactly what to build before I went to Knob Creek earlier this month. The Creek is my best source of parts.

I already have a JSAR which has been converted to vertical feed. I sort of hate to sacrifice that nice rifle. With no provenance, it's not highly valuable, but I still believe that it was done by some professional as a prototype. The work on the stock and rifle are just far above what the average Bubba is capable of doing. It's just crafted too well.

I appreciate any and all suggestions and leads on parts. If you see something that is at a decent price just let me know. Or if you have something for sale then I might be interested in that also. So many fine firearms, and so little time.

Mike

Mike,

if you decide to let go of that vertical feed johnson let me know, i would be very interested.

sven