Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
69daytona

Bought a 5.7spitfire barrel 1-16 twist

3 posts in this topic

I bought a new barrel for the 5.7 spitfire and got a set of new dies cheap with it, has a Williams front sight on it with a 1-16 twist.

would like to know if the forming die is the best way to form 30 carbine to 5.7 or will he dies work just as well?

i ran 100 carbine cases welll lubed through the sizing die and had 6 crack at the neck, all the rest match up perfect with the chamber cast I made.

anyone have reloading info that works well with the 1-16 twist barrel?  I have a bunch of .224 35 gr. And 55gr Bullets, throat is long enough to run 70gr single fire but twist is to slow for probably much more than 45 gr.

i wanted this caliber to get my grandsons into highpower without all the noise and recoil, great step up from 22lr.

looking for loads more for accuracy than speed.

Were you the same person that sent me info similar to the above? Did you receive my replies? Or is yours an entirely new situation?   Ed J

69Daytona wrote:

"...would like to know if the forming die is the best way to form 30 carbine to 5.7 or will he dies work just as well?"

I have done it both ways, but had much better luck forming the cases using the RCBS forming die followed by the trim die (which performs an intermediate forming step) followed by the sizer die.  By making the transition in three smaller steps, you reduce the amount stress the brass is under.

Also, be aware of the fact that when the case mouth is squeezed down from 30 caliber to 22 caliber, that brass has to go someplace.  Part of it goes to lengthen case, which is what the trim die is there to correct.  The other part of it goes to thicken the case mouth.  If the case mouth is too thick, it can pinch the bullet causing a significant rise in chamber pressure.  According to a note RCBS included with my case forming dies, the case mouth should be between 0.010 and 0.012 inch.  If it is more than this, you will need to either inside neck ream the case (and then resize it to get the mouth diameter correct) or turn the outside of the case neck.