Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob G.

demilled 1941 johnson lmg

11 posts in this topic

Yes.  If the demilled LMG is complete......lower buttstock and trigger group, bolt group, bbl and magazine support assembly, rear sight , it can be reassembled on a modified 41 Johnson semi-automatic receiver with the full auto components removed. It is now a legal semi-automatic.  I have a gunsmith that does these builds and can supply the receiver.  Contact me if interested.  5003.4.jpg

Brian

I am interested in the conversion to semi fire only. Do you have an estimate on the costs ?

thanks

The receiver itself is $1200.  Converted with a type 1 sight base $1800, with a type 2 sight base $2000.  This includes fitting your parts set and test firing.  These receivers are stripped, sound, minimal pitting (under the wood), and have faint import marks (IA CO SAC CA) on the heel over the Cranston Arms mark.  If you want the receiver fitted (this involves fabricating, fitting, and welding on the front and rear lugs) to a furnished reproduction (Joseph Scott) magazine support assembly add $2250. (These are my costs from Rodney Richardson, my gunsmith.)  He is very good but realize this is not his day  job which keeps him on the road a lot so it can be painfully slow.  Pictured are the type 1 and 2 sight bases.

JLMGB2569.03.jpg

B8408.5.jpg

Brian

My son helped me to send photos, what do you think? Is it a possible to make a semi auto out of this ? The rear section of the two piece bolt is cut, the firing pin has a 1/4 inch cut off the rear and the ejector was cut in half. Can you get an estimate of costs please. I am very serious on getting this done.

Regards

Bob Gorton

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Bob,

In looking at your cut receiver, it had not yet been completely modified to fit the LMG parts set as evidenced by the fact that  the cuts for the lock plunger haven't yet been made.  I'll check with my gunsmith about the cost of welding the receiver back together, providing either a type 1 or type 2 sight base and modifying it to accept the LMG parts set..  You will need a rear sight assembly, MG bolt rear and firing pin.  The Dror (Israeli Johnson) rears and Fps are interchangeable.  They go for around $120.  Ejector assemblies are readily available.

B

Brian,

Sounds good, I have a rear sight assembly,not sure if it complete. I think I would like the type 2 sight base if possible. Can your gunsmith or you supply the needed parts ?

Bob

Bob,

I will ask him for a price on welding and further modifying your receiver,  fabricating and fitting a type 2 sight base and fitting your magazine support assembly (which were individually fitted, thus not really interchangeable).   He is very good and very slow since his day job is installing and repairing industrial cranes all over the midwest.  I will see what the price of the Dror bolt rear and FP is.  The ejector assembly is around $35.

B

Brian

Do you have the parts I need or do I purchase from someone else ? If you have them I am ready to purchase now.

Bob 

Contact me @ brian.alpert@louisville.edu

Brian I believe we exchanged some emails a couple of years ago on a different forum. I had some health issues that had to be squared away and I am now putting my 1st pattern DROR in .303 back together. It is an all matching kit but I need to know what full auto parts need to be left out of the FCG when putting it back together as a semi-auto. Since the Johnson and the DROR FCG are the same I have been looking for a schematic showing how it works. I think, which is not the same as knowing, what parts should be removed. I will be welding in a block as well as welding the full auto holes for the pivots shut. I have often wondered if the .303 magazine/support feed tray could be swapped out for the 30.06 one along with the barrel and bolt head. I have several 30.06 magazines but only one .303 magazine. My email is h.connors@centurylink.net if you would like to contact me direct. Thanks Harry