Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vernz

New Johnson Automatic owner

8 posts in this topic

Last weekend I obtained a Johnson rifle for the first time.  I am very happy with it, but had to think long and hard about buying it due to one problem.  The barrel muzzle is threaded.  I looked around on line and found a 2012 discussion about another rifle with threaded muzzle, but no one had a concrete idea about why or when the threading was done.  It appears that there is solder or braze metal residue on the face of the sight base.  Any thoughts on this forum?

Also, my serial number is 6343 with no letter prefix.  Any chance I could get some information on it?

Thanks,  Vern

full right.jpg

threaded muzzle 3.jpg

threaded muzzle.jpg

The treading (for a muzzle brake) is obviously not original.  If it was mine, I would cut off the threaded portion, recrown,  set back both the bayonet lug and front sight.   No one will even notice a bbl which is 1/2 inch short.

Here is the data on JSAR #6343

Received from Cranston Arms 1/30/42

Stock #2

Bbl #3568E

Hammer block #6337

Hammer #2659

Bolt #7690

Locking Cam #6242

Firing pin #5090

Extractor #5125

Magazine #7956

Transferred to NPC 2/11/42

From a technical standpoint, any type of muzzle brake device, including the one Dad sold after WWII (refer to the Johnson book) for reducing recoil on hi-power bolt-action rifles, might possibly affect the cycling operation of a Johnson semi-auto rifle, which is recoil operated (Same might apply to the Johnson LMG). So Brian (above) makes a good suggestion and, yes, most folks wouldn't notice the difference....including me....unless I was looking for it specifically.

You found it!  Welcome Vernz!

I keep looking at those threads and thinking about the JA brakes I have.  I know it would likely affect function, but I'd still like to know if on would fit, just for the heck of it.  

We are in the process of moving, or I'd send you one to try just to satisfy my own curiosity.  Hopefully I'll remember this in a couple of weeks after we get settled.

Since it's hard to put metal back, I'm always hesitant to remove anything. For that reason, I'd leave the threads there.  They don't hurt anything.  Later, if you decide to get rid of it, then you could redo the muzzle. 

I'm really not in favor of cutting the barrel.  My plan is to make a threaded collar to cover the threads, much like the one used on 1896 Swedish Mausers with threaded muzzles.  Thanks for the information about my rifle, but I'm not familiar with "NPC".  Can you help me with that?  Barry, I will measure the threads and let you know what the diameter and pitch is.

Vern

NPC stands for Netherlands Purchasing Commission, the Dutch agency which received the rifles.  At this point, they were put into storage since both the Netherlands and their Malaysian colonies had fallen to the Nazis and Japanese.  NPC represented the Dutch government in Exile who contracted for and owned the rifles.

Remove the front sight, turn front of barrel to diameter that just removes threads.  Make a sleeve that is a slight press fit and length to half way between sight pins.  Make it over size and slightly long, then turn it to diameter, when installed.  When you install sight, the front pin will lock sleeve in place.  This will hide the sleeve junction. Crown end and blue. Pins are 2/0 Morse taper.  You will need to borrow or buy a tapered reamer.