FSSF63Puls

Gathering Info on Johnson LMG Parts Kit

10 posts in this topic

I'm interested in buying a Johnson 1941 LMG parts kit. If anyone could even point me in a direction to search for one I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, I've built an SBR and own a suppressor so naturally the next stage is a full auto. That being said, if a Johnson receiver is rebuilt then could I file whatever form it would be with the BATFE to reinstate it as a live machine gun, or would that be considered a post 86 gun and thus be illegal? Thanks for any and all information!

You might check with Mr. Brian Alpert on the availability of a parts kit.

Since May of 1986, it is no longer legal for an individual to build their own machine gun. You must buy an existing one that is transferable on a "Form 4"

A "Pre May" or "Post May" dealer sample is NOT illegal if in the possession of the correctly licensed dealer.

Only an 07 FFL can legally build a Post May Dealer Sample from a kit. That Post May Dealer Sample can only be transferred to another 07 or 03 FFL holder to be used as a demo unit. It can never be sold or transferred to an individual on a form 4.

Even when used as a demo unit, some transactions require a "Request Letter for a demonstration" on the law enforcement departments letterhead. There are strict rules on what can be done with a Post May Dealer Sample. Even the 07 FFL in possession of the firearm can't keep it in the event that he/she gives up their 07 FFL license. The weapon must be sold or transferred to another qualified dealer, surrendered or destroyed. (it might be possible for it to go to the military or other government entity? but better check on that)

The only way for an unlicensed individual to own a "Machine Gun" is to buy an existing one already on a form 4. (or inherit one)

If you already have a legal SBR and Suppressor, then you are familiar with most of the paperwork, fingerprints, photo, $200.00 for a tax stamp on machine guns, background check, and once you had to get approval from the head LEO in your locality.

It's been a few years since I've dealt with having an 07 license and laws do change....so fact check all this info. If anyone can correct any of the above information please do so.

Thanks for the info. I thought maybe because the weapon was an original before being torch cut, then it could be remade. I've been talking back and forth with Mr. Alpert so I'm still trying to figure out the process of building a clone.

Here is more info on the torch cut demills vs. a "De-Activated War Trophy".......The De-activated War Trophy would have needed to be registered with the NFA before 1986. If you had paperwork showing the firearm is indeed a registered "De-Wat" then there is a procedure to re-activate it. I think that would require the filing of a Form 1 with the BATFE and getting approval to "Re-activate the War Trophy" before you start construction.

De-mills on the other hand are considered to have been "destroyed" by the torch cutting or saw-cutting process, so as to render them simply pieces of junk metal, not capable of being readily or easily reconstructed.

rewat.JPG

I hope this helps. Your best bet is to construct a semi automatic firearm which needs no approval.

That’s exactly what I was curious about. I guess if I can get one that’s got the proper paperwork I’ll look into restoring it and if not I’ll go semi auto. Do any of you have an estimated price point for a parts kit? 

Complete parts kits are few and far between.  In over 20 years of collecting and dealing in Johnsons, I have only come across 1 complete JLMG parts kit for which I happily dished out $4500 .  I have had several JLMG look-a-likes in semi-auto built but the parts were acquired the hard way, piece by piece.  Most everything used to be available except for the magazine support  assembly which was virtually impossible until Joseph Scott had some reproductions made.  Anyone who had  a DEWAT with papers would certainly restore it as they are then worth $20,000 and up. An unpapered parts set is best restored to a look-a-like using a modified semi-auto rifle receiver.  Restoring the original LMG receiver is illegal unless you are an 07 FFL building a "Dealer sample'.

Does this Joseph Scott still make these mag assemblies and if so do you have a link or contact info for him?

<jmscottparts@gmail.com>  is his Email.  He is often slow to respond since he travels a lot.  He still has the mag support assemblies but they will need front and rear lugs fabricated and fit to the receivers.

Was that something that your gunsmith can do? I saw in another post you had the receivers ready although I don’t know when the post was made. So at the minimum, if I got a receiver, barrel, and then the stock and lower I would have a dummy weapon until I got the rest of the parts? Thank you again for all of the help! 

My gunsmith, Rodney Richardson, can (and has) fabricated and fit the front and rear lugs on the mag support housing and fit the assembly to a modified JSAR receiver.  He can also modify the receiver appropriately and supply a type 1 or 2 sight base.  Contact me for details. <brian.alpert@louisville.edu>