Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neil

Original Barrels?

5 posts in this topic

I was comparing the barrels on my Johnson rifles and noticed that the barrels were different. Are these both original barrels? I’m wondering if one is a "new" barrel by taking another barrel (like an '03 or M1917 barrel) and cutting it down and adding the bushings and barrel collar etc. I believe I’ve heard of that being done. 

Link to pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/0ytCo

The one marked "J. A." with four/five digit number is factory original.  I believe the one marked "JS" is one I made using a CNC contoured Shilen blank.  Of all the aftermarket barrels I have seen, none were marked by the maker except mine.  I worked from original blueprints and did not mark a barrel until after I tested fired it.  Most commonly,  replacement barrels were made from M1 Garand barrels.

A question for Joe Scott.

If the new barrel weighs a bit more than the old Johnson barrel, will this affect the function of the rifle. Specifically, as in using a 1903 barrel to replace the Johnson barrel?

Edited by M48TANKER
clarification

Theoretically, it might, depending on how much weight is involved. Do you know the total weight of each barrel?

If the barrels have the original contour, they will weigh the same and have no effect on functioning.  I have never seen or heard of a "heavy" barrel, or having a different contour (except the 7mm),  remember gun is designed to function with bayonet attached.