Stinson

Another serial number question

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just got approved as a user.  I'm not an experienced forum user so I hope I am posting this correctly.  If possible, could I get the build information on SN 4882?  It does not have a letter prefix.  I was curious about the generally accepted number of 1941's produced.  Seems like this is the more hardcore, true followers of this gun, forum and is more accurate than other sources so I'd be interested in knowing the thoughts here.  After a few million repetitive web pages the number seems to fall between 22K to 30K, with 10,200 initially destined for the Dutch.  Also, is there a consensus among users about the number that actually wound up in USMC hands?  I know official numbers are scarce but there seems to be more that made it into the pacific theatre than officially recognized.  Thanks

Here is the data on JSAR #4882

Received from Cranston Arms 1/19/42

Stock #2

Bbl #3541E

Hammer block #2532

Hammer #7649

Bolt #2391

Locking cam #5873

Firing pin #A080

Extractor #2913

Magazine #A1272

Transferred to NPC 1/30/42

The total # of JSARs produced was thought to be around 20,200. (Not sure where I got that # but it has stuck with me over the years).  Supposedly 1000 in 7mm were purchased by the government of Chile.  (If I ever get around to it, I intend to hunt up the actual numbers to Chile from the logs as they were all supposedly in the no prefix block)  Around 800 were purchased by the US government for Paramarines and OSS.  I do not know if this # included LMGs.  Both the serial #s of the LMGs and very few of those which went to the Marines are listed in "the Book"

Hey Brian,

Don't know if this helps, my JSAR is 5836 and it is a Chilean rifle. Don't know if the rifles were numbered consecutive or not but this might get you in the right area?

Wayne

No, unfortunately they are scattered throughout the entire no prefix series

Thank you for the response.  I will disassemble this weekend and verify if this remains as built from the factory.  This is my son's rifle and I am trying to rebuild the provenance for him.  He bought it several years ago and the owner he got it from claimed the previous owner was the one who carried it in the pacific theatre.  He was not thinking about obtaining details but just wanted the gun.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  I have taken it to a few knowledgeable gun people who all echo the same opinion.  The wear is consistent with use in a military atmosphere rather than a post war shooting range or hunting arena.  I have a puzzle and the serial number data gives me yet another piece, I appreciate the help.  We're really hoping to fill in all the pieces and be able to have a piece of true history.  It is going to be tough to close the loop but it's too good of an opportunity to pass up.  During my quest, I did find a document of a marine inventory listing 650 "Johnson Rifles" and 109 Johnson LMG's.  I believe the document was an inventory after the battle at Guadalcanal. Hopefully I can make the connection. 

Hi Stinson, and welcome to the forum. While not all of us are truly "hardcore" there are enough "truly knowledgeable folks" on this site, you will not be steered wrong. If you have not purchased "the book", (http://www.brucecanfield.com/johnson-rifles.html)   I highly recommend getting a copy to go along with the gun, both now and in the future. It will answer most of your questions and anyone else's. I have had mine for years and continue to grab it to either re-read sections or to look at photos.