Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neil

Broken ejector?

5 posts in this topic

The other day I was shooting my Johnson and firing M2 Ball HXP it was failing to eject. It extracted the round and then left it in the action area and would jam up because both the spent brass and new round were then trying to feed into the chamber. My assumption is a broken ejector, what do you think? If it is an ejector, where can I find another?

Any guidance is much appreciated. 

Neil

The ejector is very durable, located on left side of receiver.  Push up the small pin and inspect the narrow lip which actually hits back of cases. I would suspect incomplete rearward movement with case not hitting ejector.  An  area to look at is heavy grease on main spring or bolt, or more common, a dirty or pitted chamber.  Ejectors are available from several members.

Yes, chambers can be polished with small Flexhone.  They are available at machinist supply stores in various grits.   Search this site for chamber pitting and polishing from a couple of years ago.  A real pain as you polish awhile, test fire and repeat until it cycles properly.  Sorry, I am no longer doing this work.

I had a similar issue awhile ago. The fired round extracted, but was dropped by the extractor before hitting the ejector. Turns out there was so much slop and fore/aft movement in the (I have to assume aftermarket) extractor, that it wouldn't hold the spent case. If I recall, the dimensions of the one I replaced were a little different. Bought a new one here, and it's been fine since...except it's pretty difficult to remove the charging handle now that it's all tight.