Alasdair MacDonald

New Magazine article on the Johnson rifle and LMG

13 posts in this topic

Alasdair, what does the front cover of the magazine look like? Does it have Kavarri .338 Lapua? I'm trying to buy the magazine and I'm not sure of the issue.  Ed J

Ed...this publication is formally Shotgun News

ArtR

Ed, he is correct, this use to be "Shotgun News." The cover shows the new "Galil ACE pistol from IWI., cordially, Alasdair

Also the writer is definitely pro Johnson rifle and products. Shotgun News now Firearms News also has big pages for the photos and information. Let me know if you cant get it and I will copy mine and send it to you, Alasdair

Alasdair, yes I understood it used to be Shotgun News. Used that one back in the '60's for obtaining M1 Carbine parts for the 5.7mm Spitfires. Have jst ordered a subscription but it might not include the above issue. If I can't get a copy, I'll get back to you. I'll pay for any copying you might need to do.  ej

Hey Ed, I was at Barnes and Noble today and spotted a copy of the edition you need. I bought it but need an address to send it to you. Maybe you can get my Email from Jim. I have it tubed up in a cardboard tube so just need to know where to send it. All the best, Alasdair

Very good article! This one I will keep with my JSAR!

To all members and users of this Johnson Website, operated and managed by James Pullen, as well as members of the Johnson Gun Club (via E-mail)....

Alasdair Macdonald was kind enough to forward me a copy of the above mentioned magazine, which I read last night. Once again, Alasdair, I am most grateful.

I strongly recommend that all of you obtain a copy of the magazine through whatever source. Again, it is "Firearms News" (formally Shotgun News) which has expanded into an actual color magazine format. It is the January 2018 issue number 2....repeat, 2....which has a photo of the Galil ACE Pistol on the cover. If you have trouble locating it, try calling the publishing office at 1 800 521 2885 for help.

I mention all this because it is the first time in my memory that an author (in this case, Mr. Jim Dickson) has taken such a strong position on the political issues that, as most of you know, affected the adoption of my father's weapons by the US military establishment. I know that Dad, and all the loyal folks who helped him design his rifles and machine guns, would appreciate the remarks, even at this late date.

Obviously, with my remarks, the article was very favorable. I freely admit to being biased....it doesn't bother me one bit....especially when I think of all the indignities and frustrations endured by Dad and our family over the years as he tried to deal with "the establishment."

Ed J

The article is an eye opener. I think the fact the M 16 used the same bolt to barrel locking system is strong testament to your fathers design. 

Dad worked as a consultant with Gene Stoner & others on the initial AR - 10.....repeat, 10...., rifle with Armalite. Others continued on with what became the AR-15 & M-16 series. So you could say that the Johnson LMG became the father of the AR-10 and the grandfather of the M-16, etc.....the styling is very similar. Yes, the bolt design is definitely Johnson.

Thank you. I was able to obtain a copy of the magazine thanks to Alasdair. There will be 2 other articles coming over the next several months. More later when I have more info.