Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Savageuser

M1941 Johnson serial # 3706 request

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

New member here. I just picked up a 1941 Johnson serial # 3706. I would like to get the data on it, and see what parts are original to the gun.  I've been doing a lot of research on the rifle, and am very happy I discovered this site.

The gun is in original military configuration with a surprisingly bright barrel. I put 50 rounds through it a few weeks ago, and it shot beautifully.

The only issue's are that the wings have been removed from the front sight, and the rear sighted was notched into a "V" shape.  If anyone has a spare front sight I'd be interested.

Edited by Savageuser
added info about the rifle

Would love to get the data on this particular rifle.

Thank you.

Also suggest you purchase the book, "Johnson Rifles & Machine Guns" by Bruce Canfield. It will answer many questions, such as the ones concerning the sights. Don't make any changes yet.

Thank you for the reply Ed. I received a copy of the book when I bought the rifle. I've now read the whole thing, and looked at the pictures of Mr Canfield's Marine used Johnson rifle carefully. Although the front sight looks the same, the rear sight doesn't look like an armorer done modification. The V is cut a lot deeper into the sight then his appears to be, with bare metal showing..I'm leaning towards a post war bubba mod. Regardless, I won't change anything yet.

Here is the data on JSAR #3706

Transferred from Cranston Arms 1/7/42

Stock #2

Bbl #8765E

Hammer block #5754

Hammer #7686

Bolt #5349

Locking cam #4186

Firing pin #6070

Extractor #2913

Magazine #1053

Transferred to NPC 1/13/42