Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Savageuser

Looking for Magazine cover spring

3 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a magazine cover spring. It's the last part I need to complete my rifle. Sarco and Numrich are either out of stock, or don't have them at all.

I know it's a hard part to find. Anyone know where I can source one?

Thanks

Jeremy

A competent gunsmith or blacksmith should be able to make a spring for you.  I made a spring to replace a broken mag cover spring on a Winfield Johnson. I attached photos of the broken spring and a mock-up I used to make the replacement spring. You may be able to find more clear photos of the spring on this site and the Internet.

Simple leaf springs are easy to make. The mag cover spring is a little complicated because of the bends that need to done before the spring is tempered.  You need the correct type of steel to hold the temper otherwise the spring will not be "springy" and simply bend. 

Hope this helps.

JohnsonMagCoverSpring.jpg

JohnsonMagCoverSpring1.jpg

Thank you for the advice and pictures Win95405. I ended up making one myself using an old broken broomhandle mauser mag spring. I tested fired the rifle with it a few weeks ago, and it worked perfectly. I'm definitely going to get a few extras made up.