Siskiyous

Introduction and a question about blueprints

7 posts in this topic

My name is Richard McNamara, I am a retired Correctional Officer living in Cave Junction Oregon.

While waiting to be accepted as a member here I read a lot of postings. I must say you seem like a tight knot grooup and are both knowledgeable and helpful, I guess the word I want to use is tone. Some boards have an edgy tone, but here there is a real feeling of camaraderie. 

I have been a shooter all my life, I used my fathers backhoe to make a backstop for my Ruger M77 7X57 when I was 14, by then I was already proficient with a 1905 Smith and Wesson 38 Special. I am a Lifetime NRA member and have been an instructor for 30 years. I like to hunt elk and both blacktail and mule deer. I am learnig machining, I have a Bridgeport Mill and a Sheldon 10X56 lathe and an Atlas 12X24 lathe. 

I am related to a successful industrialist and when the firearms News article came out we started talking about what an amazing rifle the Johnson M1941 is. He asked me if I could find a set of blueprints for the rifle. Do any of you have an idea where there might be a set. 

Your help in this is greatly appreciated.

BeardBoy.JPG

Welcome Richard!

While I don't know if/where blue prints still exist, I sure someone will come by eventually to give you the information you are looking for. As far as this forum goes everybody is very respectful and more than willing to pass on their information and or knowledge. Of all the forums I visit, this is the only one I will post anything because I am not treated like an idiot for asking questions! Again welcome!

Wayne

Some sort of set exists somewhere

Johnson.png

There are few original copies of the user manual, but copious copies of reprints, which are good and better than nothing. As for prints, I have not heard of any, but not to say that they do not exist somewhere. If they do exist, I bet that they will fetch a pretty penny.

Welcome to the forum, and if you get hooked, look at obtaining a copy of the "book" http://www.brucecanfield.com/johnson-rifles.html

Most of the blueprints were damaged/destroyed in a flood of Mr. Johnson's basement. A few damaged ones belong to the Johnson estate. A reverse engineering process woud be necessary to recreate the gun.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:11 AM, Joseph Scott said:

Most of the blueprints were damaged/destroyed in a flood of Mr. Johnson's basement. A few damaged ones belong to the Johnson estate. A reverse engineering process woud be necessary to recreate the gun.

Thank you for that information, we have talked about reverse engineering.  I found the user manual available as a PDF on the internet. 

Joe Scott is correct on the blueprint situation, unfortunately. On a separate topic above, concerning the recent Firearms News magazine article, I also mentioned Dad's involvement with the AR-10 project. You might want to take a closer look at an AR-10 in terms of evaluation. Granted, it is not recoil operated, but Dad was enthusiastic about it during the design and it used a larger cartridge than the .223 Remington (5.56mm). I suggest this because the Johnson weapons were vintage WWII 1930's - 1940's for manufacturing process, versus the AR-10 which came 20 years or so later. As for patents, they are long expired and folks have used Dad's bolt & extraction designs since then. Good luck with your project.    ej