Wolfe0112

Johnson help

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,  I am new to this forum and am a lucky and new owner of a Johnson. However I am having problems with it. First of all I wasn’t going to fire it however I place one round in the chamber and fired it. It went off without a hitch. However now the bolt will not move to the rear it feels as if the bolt it locked into the barrel. Ugh!!!! 

No idea what to do. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you 

Did you lift the bolt handle up before pulling to the rear? Alot of people familiar with the Garrand forget this step and try to pull straight back without lifting the handle.

If the case is stuck it coud also be something in the chamber is sticking the case tight. Try lifting the bolt handle and while pulling to the rear smartly smacking the butt of the rifle on some card board or a mat on the floor to avoid damaging the butt. If the case is just stuck this will usually get it to release. It also helps to shoot some CLP or other bore cleaner down the barrel to help loosen the stuck case.

Ryche

Looks like you have a pitted chamber, a common problem with JSAR bbls.  If what Ryche suggested doesn't work, put a cleaning rod or other rod down the bbl so it will put pressure on the empty case.  While holding the op handle up and pulling back, tap the rod to force the case out.

Remove the bbl and hone the chamber to remove or minimize the pits.  Next time you fire, lubricate the chamber first.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:17 PM, Brian Alpert said:

Looks like you have a pitted chamber, a common problem with JSAR bbls.  If what Ryche suggested doesn't work, put a cleaning rod or other rod down the bbl so it will put pressure on the empty case.  While holding the op handle up and pulling back, tap the rod to force the case out.

Remove the bbl and hone the chamber to remove or minimize the pits.  Next time you fire, lubricate the chamber first.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:54 AM, ryche_me said:

Did you lift the bolt handle up before pulling to the rear? Alot of people familiar with the Garrand forget this step and try to pull straight back without lifting the handle.

If the case is stuck it coud also be something in the chamber is sticking the case tight. Try lifting the bolt handle and while pulling to the rear smartly smacking the butt of the rifle on some card board or a mat on the floor to avoid damaging the butt. If the case is just stuck this will usually get it to release. It also helps to shoot some CLP or other bore cleaner down the barrel to help loosen the stuck case.

Ryche

Thank you so much!! That did the trick it was a stuck case. The chamber doesn’t look bad at all and I can’t see any pitting. The throat of the case I removed was odd and did not appear equal all the way around if that makes sense.  Does anyone have info on serial number 0939? 

On 2/21/2018 at 8:54 AM, ryche_me said:

Ryche

Thank you so much!! That did the trick it was a stuck case. The chamber doesn’t look bad at all and I can’t see any pitting. The throat of the case I removed was odd and did not appear equal all the way around if that makes sense.  Does anyone have info on serial number 0939? 

Here is the data on JSAR #0939:

Received from Cranston Arms  not listed

Stock  not listed

Bbl #1104C

Hammer block #738

Hammer #0648

Bolt #949

Locking cam #736

Firing pin #5363

Extractor #1291

Magazine #0937

Transferred to NPC 10/15/41

This one may have actually made it to Indonesia (Dutch East Indies) which did not fall to the Japanese until December 1941

That is great information. Last question when you said transferred to NPC. What does NPC stand for? Also I can believe it has seen some action it is pretty well warn. If you want I can send some pics. 

Strongly suggest you purchase the book "Johnson Rifles & Machine Guns" by Bruce Canfield....a good investment if you now have that gun. It will answer many questions.

NPC stands for Netherlands purchasing committee roughly.

As Ed said the book is a really good investment. I have read mine cover to cover a couple times and refer to it often.

Ryche